Fuel Injection problem - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 04, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

My Camaro is a newer one - 89'(Fuel Injected)
I rebuilt the heads in my camaro. Then I put it all back together, and it ran beautifully - but not for long. When I would step on the gas it would cut out and die, so I could only run it at low RPM's. It was dying because it was getting way too much fuel, I could smell the gas and it had the characteristics of a flooding engine, for it would delay for a second (and possibly die out)when I hit the gas. The problem progressed. I got to the point that it woulden't run. I did a diagnostic, and came up with a code 22, or, the Throtle Position Sensor. I got a new one, and I know that your supposed to set it by the amount of ohms coming out, but the book didin't get that detailed- it simply said to Line it up. So I installed it by thier means. It flooded even worse. It flooded so bad that it pushed gas beyond the compression ring and actually filled up the oil pan with gas. The problem seems so bad that it seems like more than the TPS, mabry injectors, I'm not sure. Perhaps some one has had the same problem and I'd apreciate your input.
Thank you - Leviathan [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 04, 04:14 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Yeah, you need to test the fuel system with a good gauge.

Is it a 2.8?

It should hold 38-42 PSI.

Could be a bad fuel regulator. When they fail it could fill the engine with fuel in a hurry. Check the vacuum lines/throttle body for being full of gas.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 04, 04:54 PM
Bill

lev,
You need to take the car to a shop and have them set the tps with a scanner and then reset the base idle, if it has been messed with. You have to have the correct tools to do this. Once this is done, you can see what other problems you might have.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 04, 02:38 PM
Senior Tech

Check the fuel pressure regulator. It may have a ruptured diaphram which will suck gas straight into the manifold.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode