Five months on blocks...ready to start - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I've researched as many things as I could think of in this regard, but I couldn't find the right keyword. I'm sure there have to be writings on this. I've been working on my car for five months now in my in-laws driveway (outside...Alabama Summer this year = ~95 degree days)...replaced the oil pan, filter, rebuilt the suspension, cleaned up the engine bay, and installed headers.

I'll be ready to start it this weekend if all goes well. The oil was changed two weeks ago when I changed the oil pan. What should I do pre-start in your opinions?

Know, too, that the headers aren't mated to the exhaust pipe yet...I've got to get to a muffler shop to do that. I was planning to drive it there slowly (~10 miles...it is about 65-70 degrees here). Is this a bad idea (apart from a possible ticket), or should I just get a wrecker?

Thanks, everybody!

1982 Camaro, 305, 4bbl Q-Jet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech
Al

There is no way I'd drive an open header car on the street. I'd consider the tow truck, or as a temporary solution, some flexible metal exhaust tubing attached with muffler clamps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 06:41 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Angry

Since you did not go inside the engine, I would pull the coil wire, crank it a little (to prime the oil pump and filter), and start it up. As for the header/exhaust thing, if your muffler shop is not far from home, I would get the mufflers and throw them in the rear seat, make an appointment at teh shop, and drive it there. If your stopped, you have some verification you are on your way to get the exhaust done. It will be loud but cool for a very short period of time. I have done this in the past and was only stopped once.

Daddy's Hot Rod.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by Codi:
pull the coil wire, crank it a little (to prime the oil pump and filter), and start it up.
I think I follow, but compared to most of you guys I'm mechanically ignorant, so I've got to ask (in more detail).

Put a few drops of mystery oil in each cylinder (I did this before installing the new spark plugs & the headers). Pull the distributor cap off & unplug the coil wire, replace the cap, put the key in and turn it as though I were cranking it a few times...turn off & take key out. Pull the cap, reconnect the wire, replace cap...then really crank it (and be prepared for the loud mufferless sound)? I'll let it run for about three minutes & shut her down.

I think I will have it towed in. I have AAA, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Would anybody disagree with this plan?

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 07:18 AM
Guess

AAA = Good thing! Since the shop is so far away, get it towed. But, and this is just me, I'd drive it. What are the chances of getting pulled over?
Is it an HEI distributor or points? If it's an HEI, just unplug the connector hanging off of the coil in the cap.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Oh yeah...I forgot...it is HEI now. Even easier.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 08:30 AM
Tech Team
Ben

What kind of headers are you talking about, shortys, or full lenth?

If you have full length- Go to you muffler shop and ask them if they have any used mufflers you could buy for cheap- have them weld a flange on the end of it and bolt up to the headers- Then you can start up the car and get it running good at your leisure- and you won't have to tow it...

BTW- I have driven Open Headered to a muffler shop before (about 5 miles away) with no problems. Boy it sure sounded cool! Almost disapointing to have to hook the exhaust back up!

Ben R.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech

I may sound like an old man (even though I'm 20) but open headers scare the crap outta me especially on a "new car". Cars been sitting for a long time and you re-did a lot of things over that time. The thought of driving a car thats had a lot of stuff re-done for the first time and not being able to listen for any strange noises because your motor is so loud is kinda scary to me. I guess I'm just the extra-careful type so I'd tow it.

1988 Camaro
350 with out of the box Canfield 195's and Cam Motion solid flat tappet
11.50 @ 119mph 1.65 60' N/A
10.68 @ 126mph 1.51 60' 100HP
all through single 3" catback exhaust.
3490lb daily driven street car, never trailered!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I installed Hedman shorties.

Okay...I'm going to crank it in the driveway & let it run for a bit to let the paint on the headers cure.

I'm going to tow it in...added to everything else, I'm reliant on my eyeballs for the alignment (tie rod ends were replaced)...I'll wimp out & have it towed in after I know it will crank & I can drive it for alignment next door & home.

Thanks, everybody.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 12:40 PM

Smile

I drove mine right down the middle of town unlicensed when I cranked my 406 up years ago right outta the headers!! NO problems at all....

We have a deal here where if you get stopped, most of them will let you by if you explain what you are doing and present an old pink slip or your title.. And yes, I had my mufflers in boxes in the back seat.

And way before that when I put a set of free headers on my old '64 Ford Fairlane S/W. I drove it 60 miles again right outta the headers through the country to get to a place I trusted to do a good job putting duals on it b/c the shops I talked to close said it would be a real hassle putting true duals on it b/c of the pass. side wheel well way back in the back fender..

They did a great job..

pdq67

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 01:00 PM
Senior Tech
Virgil

I guess SW Mississippi is behind in the times. We STILL have folks who run headers, about 2 feet of 2 1/2 or 3 inch pipe and turndowns.

I drove one like this all thru High School (several years ago) only complaint I ever got was from the neighbors rattling their plate glass windows. I did get pulled over a few times, but it was so the cops could look at the engine.( an original425hp/427. Wish I had it today!)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 01:04 PM
Senior Tech

I drove my Coupe almost 10 miles here in Milwaukee with the headers open. Even the old grandmas I passed stopped to look as I went by. No problem. I did have an appointment and thought that if I got stopped, I'd explain and either call the shop to confirm my story, or have the cop follow me there. I wouldn't waste the money on having it towed there. There are alot of old beaters running around without lights, turn signals, exhaust etc and they seem to be oblivious and unharmed from the law. Just my .02 worth.

67 Coupe<br /></font><ul type="square"><li><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ZZ4</font></li><li><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">12 Bolt Posi</font></li><li><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">4-Spd</font></li></ul><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 02:31 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Call your local PD and find out what the price of a ticket for excessive noise is. Then call the tow company and find the price of a tow. This should make your decision an easy one. [img]smile.gif[/img]

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 06:28 PM
Senior Tech

LOL thats a great idea

1988 Camaro
350 with out of the box Canfield 195's and Cam Motion solid flat tappet
11.50 @ 119mph 1.65 60' N/A
10.68 @ 126mph 1.51 60' 100HP
all through single 3" catback exhaust.
3490lb daily driven street car, never trailered!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 03:22 AM
Guess

AAA will tow it for free if the car has an engine in it. So that's no problem. But now I agree that you should tow it because of the frontend alignment. I didn't consider that. It's a good idea to get it aligned first. Why take a chance?

You can always sit in it while it's being towed and rev the engine once in a while just to scare people. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode