OIl spray on intake - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a Preformer RPM intake and I have noticed excessive oil spray/residue around a couple of the bolts. I had thought that it might be because they are loose but I checked and they are tight. Also there is a small amount of oil puddling around them what causes this and could this cause a problem? I have noticed a slight drop in power. Is it the gaskets??

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 72 gm casting heads,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 12 bolt 4.56 posi..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 04:43 PM
David Pozzi

There are about two bolts on each side that go into the pushrod area. Make sure they are not too long and that they are sealed. They can hit the pushrods if too long.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 05:58 AM
Tech Team

Smile

My Father and My Uncle have the same problem. This also hapens with the chrome thermostat cover and the differential cover. I think it's the material it's make out of it's prone to do that I guess. One way to see if it's affecting the performance is by spraying Carb cleaner where the intake gasket is or where the intake meets the head. Carb cleaner will get sucked in and burned. If this happens and you notice a chance in the idle then it's the intake gasket. If you see NO difference then the gasket is O.k. If so I guess that's just the way those intakes are. Good luck.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Did you put thread sealer on the bolts when you installed the intake?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 07:48 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

I don't think this is a "normal" thing, sure it is common, but you don't have to live with it. As mentioned before I think you either didn't use enough (or the proper type) of thread sealer. That is the only way oil can be getting passed the intake bolts and on your manifold. I would remove, clean and re-install the suspected bolts using a good thread sealer. Clean the thread in the heads as well as you can (laquer thinner works great and dries fast).

Royce

------------------
70 Camaro 383ci
69 Camaro 385ci
91 Camaro RS V8 (305 TBI)
Link to my 70

http://profiles.yahoo.com/camaroman7d
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 02:28 PM
Team Member
John

Eight of the twelve intake bolts (all but the four corners) go into the lifter valley, and hot oil mist from there will work its way up the threads and pool under the bolt heads and show up as leaks. Always use thread sealer on these eight bolts (and make sure they're no longer than the stock 1-1/4" or they can hit pushrods) and you won't see any oil.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode