Oil pump shaft - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chester

In the process of starting my engine after a complete rebuild I pre oiled the engine using a rented tool for that purpose. Everything was going well until I removed the tool and with it my oil pump drive shaft. I was able to get the shaft back in pump drive but I have no idea if the plastic sleeve is in place. What should I do?

68 convertible, Grotto blue, 327 TH350,3.08 diff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 01:06 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Shine a flashlight down the hole and look. If it fell off, fish it back out. (If it fell off it should most likely be sitting on top of the oil pump. Assuming SBC or BBC)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chester

It is a small block. I don't see it from the top looking through the opening for the distributor. It took a fair amount of effort to get the tool/rod out but the rod went back in without much effort. What are the chances it is still in place?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 02:55 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Is the engine still on a stand or in the car?

I would drop the pan, the oil pump, and put a "One piece" oil pump shaft in it so it can't ever happen again.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chester

It's in the car.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 04:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

bummer

buy a one peice shaft. If it goes on, then you have a peice of plastic hanging aqround in your oil pan, you decide what (if anything) to do about it.

If it won't, then the plastic one's on the pump, return the new shaft use the old one.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chester

Can a one piece be installed from the topside? I tried to remove the rod/shaft with a strong magnet and can't get it out. Could it be that it is back in the plastic sleeve?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 04:31 PM

Red face

I forgot to put it on my 327 I gave my nephew and had to drop the pan when he asked me what the long, thin while box had in it!! Felt kinda dump, but all's well now

pdq67

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech
Al

The only way it could have made it into the pan is if it fell off into the lifter galley and somehow miraculously dropped through a drainback hole(if it would even fit!) If you're absolutely sure it was even there to begin with, then look down the dist hole again with a good light and make double sure it's not sitting on the block casting or still attached to the oil pump's drive shaft. If it's definitely not there, personally, I'd pull the intake manif and look for it.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chester

I was able to get the shaft out and took a good light and I believe it is on the oil pump's drive shaft. I can see the key way on the shaft with no opening on either side which leads me to believe the plastic piece is still in place. I can see the cylinder walls around the slot but due to the oil can't tell if its plastic or metal. I'm certain it's not on the top of the oil pump at least I don't see it. I need to borrow one of those lights the Doctor's use for Colonoscopy exams.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 04, 06:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

sounds like you're ok, and nm my previous post, you're right, the one peice shaft won't go in form on top. Seemed like a good way to check at the time...lol

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 04, 10:45 AM
Bill

jack,
The oil pump drive is supposed to "snap" into the plastic sleeve. Either it was not installed properly to begin with, or the plastic sleeve is broken. This is not something you want to take a chance on, if you have ever seen the damage that happens when the sleeve is missing or broken, you would be immediately removing the pan and pump and making sure it is correct. Once you are that far, you might as well fix it once and for all with a steel sleeved shaft which cannot come out through the top of the engine.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 04, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chester

It still "snaps" into place. It came out when I removed the priming tool. The key on the tool was too big for the slot on the pump drive.I had to put it in a vice to get the shaft off the tool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode