Fuel Pump location?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 03, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'm fairly new at this and not sure where my stock fuel pump is located. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] I have a 68 with a 350 crate engine.

I suspect the fuel pump is stock and would like to upgrade. I just bought a remanufactured Holley 600cfm, dual feed, with elctronic choke. I wanted to go ahead and replace the other major components like the filter, pump, etc. Any suggestions on the pump?

"Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected." - Red Buttons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 03, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech

Paul Welcome! It will be difficult to improve on the GM Design for your particular application. If you are after looks thats another thing. The stock pumps are more than capable of handeling most any reasonable bolt on upgrades plus they work forever and fit great.
Best wishes
Milan

67 Blown Alcohol Camaro "The Combat Rat" 8-71 and E-85/71 BB SS Chevelle "cheap street" (clone) 12.871 @ 107.59 w/1.915 60' and spinning /2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv./74 454 El Camino .
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 03, 11:58 AM

would imagine it will be front passanger side of engine/down low.unless you got an engine with electronic fuel pump. then you will have to buy one first and mount it somewhere safe /inside of your framerail

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 03, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Paul, make a run to the book or auto parts store and get a Haynes manual ... There are several other good books dealing with small block Chevy's and Camaro restoration. They can be good sources of information even if your car is already fully restored. You will need an inline fuel filter with the Holley, between fuel pump and carb. Some people will also run a filter prior to the fuel pump. With dealing with fuel systems changes and maintenance, keep your line away from moving parts and always take the time to check for leaks. Good luck ...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 03, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I was looking at it from a performance perspective, not really for looks. I just thought it would be smart to upgrade the pump with the new carb while I was tinkering with the fuel system, but you're probably right about the stock pump.

It does have two fuel filters currently...is that overkill? I've heard the one thing you have to ensure with Holley carb's is that you have clean fuel...

"Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected." - Red Buttons
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 09:58 AM
Team Member
John

Don't splice aftermarket fuel filters (especially the clear glass or plastic ones) into the pump-to-carb line with rubber hose and clamps - they're a fire waiting to start. There's a reason the original pressurized side of the fuel system is all steel lines with SAE fittings. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Zach

i'll admit it, i have that exact setup. i have a clear glass filter spliced in before the carb. i have a 600 edelbrock on the car and i was planning on getting an edelbrock street fuel pump and some new fuel line soon. i was thinking about getting a braided stainless line kit to go from the pump to carb. where's the best spot to put the filter?

69 Camaro - LeMans blue w/ black vinyl top - 350/TH350
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 06:25 PM

Smile

Up against the end of the pass. side head right out in plain view..

pdq67

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 06:35 PM
Senior Tech

Hey...wait a minute! A fire waiting to happen?? Jeeze! I've been running those clear filters between the pump and carb, like, forever. What is it that makes it so hazardous??? what would be the proper set up? And thanks for the heads up.

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 07:06 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Steve I believe those glass filters are actually illegal in CA (due to the fire hazzard). I know they won't let you run at the track with those (if the tech inspector sees it). A bettor set up is an aluminum housed filter. Several comapnies make them (Russell, Edelbrock). If something (rock, vibration, big bump, accident) hits that glass filter your car will be on fire before you even know there's a problem. Think about where the fuel will go if that filter is broken or fails. Don't feel bad a lot of people buy and run those (they are decent looking), just not worth the risk (IMO).

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech
robert

Unhappy

im guilty too

Z28 1984
'77 355ci/COMP cam 218/224 .464/.470 114 LSA
rollerrockers1.5/9.72 forged pistons
ported '66 461 heads 1.94,1.5/Flowtech shorty headers
edelbrock 600/performer rpm intake
th350/shiftkit/hughes2500stall
4th gen 3.23 10 bolt POSI.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 08:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally posted by camaroman7d:
If something (rock, vibration, big bump, accident) hits that glass filter your car (edit: or your friends boat!) will be on fire before you even know there's a problem.
Or you hit a big wake in a boat - I'll never forget that sound or the smell of a burning 'Flatbottom'

I would never run anything but a metal contained filter and metal lines from pump (stock) to filter/carb. on my vehicle. JMHO.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech

Thanks for the info guys. You guys may have just saved a life! Amazing! I don't use glass, I always ran the clear plastic ones, but I can see now thats unsafe too. And rubber hoses. What a maroon!(best Bugs Bunny voice!) [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Guess what my weekend project is going to be?

Do you think I can get the stainless lines and aluminum filter at my local AutoZone/ Kragen?
And thanks again. Seriously.

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 01:13 PM
Senior Tech
Zach

that's a good question, i was just about to make an order to summit. if i use braided stainless line, i guess i would have to get two lengths of line with AN fittings so i can add the filter between the pump and carb? i've only dealt with stock fuel line, fuel hose, and clamps, not too familiar with other setups. i thought this kit would work really well.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=SUM%2DG3128
but where would i add the fuel filter?

69 Camaro - LeMans blue w/ black vinyl top - 350/TH350
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 01:52 PM

Smile

I always thought the cheap, clear plastic fuel filters I've always ran in the past were tough as nails. It always took a good hit with a BFT to break it when I checked it for crud after I changed it out..

I do know they sure weren't glass!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode