help and ideas needed - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

I've been unable to start my 68
msd 8361/6al/blaster2

is it possible that I have my oil pump turned so that the dist won't drop in on it correctly to be in time?

I'm kinda grasping at straws, but I'm getting frustrated

I've tried flipping it 180*, but when I think I'm on TDC the rotor is pointing @ #2

thanks in advance as always
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 07:30 AM
Tech Team

Need more info.

1. Is it getting fuel?
2. did you check your wiring to msd instructions?
3.Are you sure it's (#1cyl.)on TDC when you did the install?

If the Distributor doesn't engage the oil pump all the way it won't drop all the way.

69' 468,510hp dyno'd roller,Doug Nash 5spd,9" ferd 4.11,Posi<br />Hope for mid 11's
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

getting fuel
sparking like a sum beeotch

some how I think I'm off
#1 piston up the rotor points to 2 or 7

is it possible that I moved the oil pump somehow?
it only engages 2 ways so how do I get the rotor to point to #1?

on true TDC #1 both valves are closed right?

thanks as always
time to get the shadow out and clear my head

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

I just use a long screwdriver to turn the gear down there so that I can set the distributor in pointing where I want it.

Every time I pull the distributor it messes up and I have to play with it to get it back where it should be.

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

damn Paul, that just makes too much sense
anyone have anything complex, poorly thought out, that prob'ly won't work anyway?

(reminds me of work, repairing extrusion blowmolding equipment)

I'm on it, after mowing and cooking lunch anyway

thanks!
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 09:54 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

I have seen some guys drop the distributor in where they want it (even through it won't drop all of the way in because of the oil pump gear) and then turn the engine over until it drops in...I wouldn't try it though...

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 01:37 PM
Tech Team

I have also seen that method.

You should be able to turn the distributor
counter clockwise to get it to fire, just to check and see. Take out the number one plug
and bump the engine over (with coil wire off!!)
while holding your thumb/finger over the plug hole. When you feel the blast of air (remember, just bump the starter) stop and look at your timing marks. At this point you can rotate the engine by hand to "0" or TDC. This will put you on TDC. Now check your rotor position in relation
to the #1 spot on the cap, it should be close. If it is you can rotate the distributor either way until it fires. If it don't check your firing order.

If the rotor is way off use Paulm's method of rotating the oil pump until your distributor drops in and points to #1

69' 468,510hp dyno'd roller,Doug Nash 5spd,9" ferd 4.11,Posi<br />Hope for mid 11's
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Yep, what he said . . . just make sure it is on the compression stroke ---- the pressure WILL blow your thumb off the plug hole. I rotate the engine by hand until the timing mark is at about 10* BTDC then drop the distributor and line up the rotor and number one terminal.

The old screwdriver technique works, but I always just drop the distributor in as far as it will go and bump the starter a few times. Never had a problem doing this.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 04, 09:07 AM
Senior Tech

i like the screwdriver technique,just make sure the driver is long enough that if it slips off the oil pump driveshaft it wont fall below the distributor mounting surface of the manifold!
this happened to me once and the driver handle was a close fit with the dist.hole and 3/8" down.
finally had to put a drop of superglue on the fingertip and let it set up on the drifer handle,then carefully lift the screwdriver out!
what a pita!
Eric

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 04, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech
sonny

hey fast,
i was having the same problem also. so what i did was to bump the motor til the dist. points to #1. then pull it out and turned crank to my initial timing setting, then reinstalled the dist. it drop right in, and started first time.
maybe it will work for you too.. hope this helps some. sonny

67 RS/SS with matching engine, tranny.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 04, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

thanks all, getting ready to go out and play with it in a few moments
wish me luck
[img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 04, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech

I line up no one (thumb trick) aim the rotor an inch or so behind no one then sink the distributor, the helical cut on the gears will swing the rotor towards the no one cylinder as the dist sinks... The distributor will sit 1/2 to 3/8's above the intake untill the oil shaft engages, bump the engine over with light finger pressure on the distributor and viola... Don't spend ANY amount of time trying to line up the tang...

John...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode