inverse oiler - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Do any of you have personal experience with Marvel's inverse oilers, like the two currently on ebay:

NOS MARVEL MYSTERY OIL 2 QUART INVERSE OILER Item # 2409501536

MARVEL MYSTERY OIL INJECTION BOTTLE Item # 2409405884

Do they still make those?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 03:56 PM
Team Member
John

No, they don't; 1940's "snake oil" stuff

JohnZ
CRG
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 03, 08:15 AM

Question

John,

Are these things supposed to be oil accumulators or what??

You know, tanks under pressure to lube the engine before startup or when it's oil pressure gets below a set number??? pdq67

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 03, 09:33 AM
Senior Tech

I remember a warehouse full of those things. The ones i saw were manufactured by AMPCO, it was described as a top cylinder lubricant, the instructions showed flat head engines.

Engine vacuum pulled the lubricant out of the jar and misted it under the carburetor, they claimed it removed carbon and stopped hair loss.

John...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 03, 04:28 PM

Question

Now, Now!!!

Come on guy's what the h-ll are they???

Enquiring minds want to know... pdq67

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 03, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I did some more research. 68ragtop's description sounds largely accurate. One link I found stated

Quote:
You may have heard that there is no such thing as gravity -- the earth sucks. The Marvel Inverse Oiler works along the same principle. Rather than rely on gravity to drop oil into the top end of the engine, a vacuum line is fitted to the intake manifold and oil is sucked out of the oil container. This works better than gravity feed for a couple of reasons. First, the oil tank can be mounted beside the engine or even below it, instead of higher than the engine. The most important reason that vacuum suction is superior is because vacuum corresponds to the amount of work the engine is doing. We have a vacuum gauge on the instrument panel and find it as useful or more so than the tachometer. From What is a Marvel Inverse Oiler?
They seem to have been used in particular with Judson Superchargers.

I'm still interested in hearing if any of you have ever used one.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 03, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

From an advertisement currently being auctioned on eBay:

Quote:
Install it and see! Your car takes a new lease on life, when vital upper cylinder areas are lubricated automatically by the Marvel Inverse Oiler. Operating off the intake manifold, this completely automatic oiler feeds to the upper cylinder areas in exact proportion to engine load and speed. Install it, fill it adjust it, and forget it! There's no maintenance worry with the Marvel Inverse Oiler, Fully automatic operation and full quart capacity give your 1000 miles of carefree motoring on each filling. 1953 Emerol Marvel Mystery Oiler and Oil Ad!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 03, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech

I guess I could just add oil to my gas tank like a two-stroke instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
350, TKO 5-speed, Moser 12 bolt - 3.73, not as many parts in boxes as before...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 03, 03:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

68ragtop is exactly right. I used to have a '50 ford with a flathead that ran on of these. They really were'nt snake oil! They work for these crappy old flatties!! Marvel Mystery oil has pretty good detergent properties. I think that the mystery oil was the only thing that kept the rings and valves in this engine!

Paul D.

68RS/Z28 Klone, Long rod 357 , T-56, 3.89 9"
Move with direction or lose your direction!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 03, 09:49 AM

Smile

In other words, it is a top-oil dispenser into the intake manifold to help the valves, guides and seals lube as well as adds top-oil into the gas/air mixer that gets down into the rings upon cycling!! And it works off intake manifold vacuum to boot..

I do know that the old Judson vane blowers needed to be lubed like this b/c they included an oil jar to feed oil into the air stream so that the tips of the vanes would be lubed and wouldn't wear off quite so fast as when ran dry..

Thanks everybody that chimed in here b/c I have ta say that I learned something that I didn't even know existed!!! pdq67

PS., and I wish that somebody would come out with a cheap, modern, vane tip/housing not touching blower like the old Judson b/c from what I have only read, they worked very well until they wore out...

I thought we had a cheap, roots type in the little extruded parts, K-F units but I don't even know just exactly if they are around under a different name or not?? Maybe Ken Bell???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode