Thorley Headers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 12th, 04, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

I have been reading the posts and the Thorley tri-y's seem to be the headers of choice for a first generation Camaro. Does anyone know if they only come in nickle chrome? I really would like to have anything other than chrome, because they will be hard to keep looking nice. Where is a good place to buy these headers? Jegs does not carry them. Thanks!

1968 Deluxe Coupe Camaro
Original 327
1984 IROC 700R4 Transmission
12 Bolt 3:55 Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 12th, 04, 04:52 PM
Tech Team

SUMMIT !they are going to be the cheapest
Richard [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Rich /matching #s garnet red 69 Z/28 RS
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 12th, 04, 05:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
Hey rando, I'm in Granger.

Check out the website: http://www.thorleyheaders.com/gm_headers.html

Scroll down to passenger cars and click on the header of your choice on the far right side and a window pops up. At the bottom are your coating options (chrome, ceramic coating, etc.).

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 04, 05:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

I have asked this before without a response. Will the Tri-Y's allow the reverse lockout to work on 4 speed cars? Thanks.
Gary

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 04, 01:11 PM
Senior Tech

Rando, the coated thorley headers have a nickle appearance of sorts. It's kind of a dull aluminum-like coating. Looks great. I got mine through summit. The part number was 376y1-c if I recall (for a 68).

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 14th, 04, 08:12 AM

I got mine from Summit but ordered them non-coated. I then sent them to Jet Hot for coating. Probably more expensive but I wanted to know for sure that the coating was genuine JetHot and not some cheap imitation.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 04, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

I called Thorley. Talked to a salesman who told me that the tri-y headers can't be bought with paint only. Choices are ceramic, nickel chrome, and unpainted. He also told me the nickel chrome will not rust but WILL turn color (maybe blue, maybe green, and eventually over time they will turn black). Stay tuned to Thorley! They have a prototype X-pipe as I write this but will be awhile yet before it is marketed. Thanks to all for the replies!!

1968 Deluxe Coupe Camaro
Original 327
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 04, 09:56 AM
Senior Tech

Maybe things have changed, but the plating on my Thorley headers was showing evidence of rust after a couple of years (on my el camino). I removed them & had them ceramic coated. So if thats a choice now I'd buy them already coated. In spite of that I am very happy with them.

Rick Schaefer

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 04, 11:00 AM

I've got the NiCr Thorleys. They will definitely turn color. Mine have a few thousand miles on em and are very yellow at the heads fading back to chrome about 4 inches down. Still look good, but not like when they were new.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 24th, 04, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

Hi, I'm really interested in knowing how these headers resist rust (if at all). My car is stored in an unheated garage through the winter. Thanks!

1968 Deluxe Coupe Camaro
Original 327
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode