welded frame mounts??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 01, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

This one has me scratching my head. I appreciate any help you guys can give me. When I bought my 69 conv years ago it had a 350. When the time came to replace it I dropped in a 383. I couldn't understand why I kept running into clearance problems: the balancer hit the sway bar, the oil pan hit the crossmember, not enough room for a hipo fuel pump, etc. After getting past all these annoying problems, I noticed in a catalog that the frame mounts for a small block looked much taller than the ones in my car. Putting two and two together, I decided to check the VIN and found out the car originally had a V6! I ordered some small block frame mounts and figured I'd just unbolt the old mounts and bolt in the new ones. That's when I noticed the six cylinder mounts are welded to the crossmember.

Does anyone know if the original six cylinder mounts came from the factory welded to the crossmember? Does any one have any suggestions on the best way to remove them without mangling the crossmember? I do have a die grinder that I mount a 3" cut off disc on once in a while. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 01, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech

My car was originally a 6 cyl. and the frame mounts were not welded to the frame. If I remember right the 6 cyl. frame mounts are totally different from the V8 mounts, so I doubt you have 6 cyl. frame mounts in the car now.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 01, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'm not sure if they are the original six cylinder mounts but I am sure that they are definitely different from the small block frame mounts. The small block mounts have an open space between them and the frame and the bolt hole is positioned about 2" from the surface of the frame. The mounts in my car sit flush against the frame with no open space and the bolt hole is only about 1" off the surface of the frame. Does this sound like what the six cyl mounts look like?

ps> Mark I checked out your car, very nice...the girls next to it are easy on the eyes too.

[This message has been edited by my69gofast (edited 01-22-2001).]

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 07:52 AM

Smile

Don't think any V-6's were put in our cars, but only straight six's. And I'm pretty sure that you can put a V-8 on the six frame mounts but that the engine will sit too close to the firewall so the distributor won't fit.

I've never checked out a straight six car because was always interested in the V-8 ones so don't know for sure.

Anybody ever put a V-8 on the straight six frame mounts to see if it will work?? pdq67

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 09:38 AM

Well..when i put my motor in i cut the towers from the frame with a disc like the guy with the 69 was talking about. It shaved a little of the metal from the crossmemeber off, but no big deal. When i had the motor where i wanted it, i welded them back in...aint no thang...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

My mistake mentioning v-6. The VIN said the car originally came with a six so I just assumed it was a v6. I'm not sure what the frame mounts in the car were originally for. I just know that they sit a lot closer to the frame than actual small block mounts. This is why I had to run a stock fuel pump instead of the Carter 120 gph mech pump I had intended to run. This, combined with the 5/16 inch fuel line that I haven't changed yet causes my 383 to stumble at high revs.

As far as distributor clearance, I did have to pound on the firewall a bit to make room for my HEI but I thought that was a problem anytime you run one because the cap is larger. But now that you mention it, the mounts do sit pretty far back on the crossmember, actually hanging off the back a slight bit. I'm not sure what the usual location is.

I guess I will have to carefully cut the old ones off with a disc but I don't have a welder so I'll bolt in the small block mounts once I have the old ones off.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech

Just so you know, subframes for 67-69 camaros are very plentiful being they were used on the 68-74 x bodies (nova ,apollo,omega, and ventura.) You might want to look in to a replacement if yours has been butchered on to install some engine with the wrong mounts, then you can just bolt everything together and not pull your hair out everytime you go to do something to the engine.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

pipeman
That's not a bad idea. I knew that a lot of parts interchanged between the Camaro and x-bodies but I didn't realize that the subframe did also. I'll try to see if I can remove the old mounts without damaging the frame but at least I'll have a backup plan if things go wrong.
Thanks to everyone for the info, I appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by my69gofast (edited 01-22-2001).]
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 09:30 PM

like i said before, i didn't damage my frame, i just shaved off a little metal. Once welded and painted over, you can't tell. Its not a 1000 pt. show car, but it gets the job done.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 06:17 AM
510Camaro

markm nice car, NICE BABES 2
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 10:50 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
my69, mine in my 68 were welded too, it was a 6cly. car, but had a 77305 in it when i bought. as for the motor mounts, i used energy suspension mounts on the motor, and lowered the swaybar for clearance of the balancer on my 406.i took one bracket to work and cut/drilled 1/2 " spacers to go between theframe and swaybar mount.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Doug
I also used homebuilt spacers to lower the swaybar enough to clear the balancer on my 383. One of the main reasons I want to use the taller small block mounts is so I can fit a high perf mechanical fuel pump instead of the stock one I'm forced to run now. I take the car on long drives and also my wife takes the car alone sometimes so I'd like to run a mechanical pump which usually won't quit all at once instead of an electric one that may die all of a sudden.

68LS1
I'll use the cutoff disc and try to shave as little metal as possible. Like you said, I'm also not that concerned that it look perfect, just that I get the right mounts in the car.

Thanks again

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 04:48 PM

Smile

This is interesting!! Thx guys. pdq67

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

FYI - Just pulled the original 6 banger out of my 68 to make way for my 383. The mounts were not welded, I doubt that the factory would weld a few and bolt most. Glad to hear you them old ones out OK, sounds like a beer - I mean bear.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 04:54 PM

Wink

Don't try ta kid us, you meant BEER!!, He, He!! pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode