69' Dual Exhaust - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

OK guys, looking for some feedback.
I'm working on my 69' coupe (late built 4th week of Sept.69) that came with single exhaust. one of the previous owners changed it to dual exhaust with two mufflers and the left side muffler is split so I'm replacing them both. I am building brackets for the muffler hangers and found a good place in front of the rear with two 5/16"-18 threaded holes in the body to start from. I've been looking at this for three days now a couple of hours a night. Then I go to work and build something bring it home and size it up. Last night I noticed on the right side frame rail at the back of the tire the original tailpipe hanger is still there. It was held on with two 1/4"-20 self tapping bolts with 3/8" heads. The bolt holes are 2 1/2" center to center and there appears to be threaded inserts in the frame rail for these bolts.

Here's where it gets interesting, I started looking on the left hand frame rail and there are two identical holes minus the threaded inserts (but I'm going to add inserts here)in the same location as the right side. My question is does anyone have a factory dual exhaust and is this where the tailpipe hanger went? I remember seeing a picture and one way of telling a true SS is that it had a pad with two studs welded on the left frame rail for the exhaust hanger on the left side.

Am I going crazy or were these holes (on the left frame rail) used for tailpipe hanger as well as the pad with the two studs for a true factory dual set-up?

Thanks for your responses.

------------------
Drew

99' GMC P/U
69' Camaro X-11 350/T350,AC,PS,PB, 12 Bolt
96' 17' CC KEY WEST w/85 Yamaha (has shark fins on the sides like the 69')
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 03:46 AM

I think I can help. If you ordered the car new with dual exhaust, a plate was added or welded to the area that you mentioned for a hanger for the dual system. Single exhaust cars don't have this plate. The plate measures approx: 2"W x 1"T with a 1/2" radious cut out of either end.. A true "Z", COPO, RS, SS, and even a coupe could have this plate. Perform a search on this site and you might turn up a picture or two..

Wacky

------------------
1969 Fully Papered and Documented Coupe.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 04:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 05:28 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Drew, not tring to sell you on a FlowMaster kit.... but the kit contains factory "style" hangers. If your replacing the exhaust,you could get the kit.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Jonesy, That's the picture I recalled seeing.

The holes I'm talking about in the original post are on the outside of the frame rails. I didn't make that real clear and on the right side they were used for the tailpipe hanger.

Doug, thanks I've got a flowmaster on my truck I like it. This is a short term fix. I got 2 used SS dynomax turbos at work for free so I'm hanging them for now. I want to go with the chambered exhaust system so that's on the list around $430 bucks I think the price was.

Drew
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

The only way to get the drivers side rear hangar is with a dual exhaust. That was only available on Z/28, COPO, and SS cars. Not available for base V8 engines or I6 (obviously ).

-Mark.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 11:31 AM
sfcamaro69

drew69,

my 69 is the exact same way, I switched from single to dual, and the drivers side was missing the thread piece on the inside of the frame rail, but it had the holes.

What I did was simply buy a peice of threaded stock, cut it to the right length and bent about 3/4 of an inch on each side so it sorta looked like this |_| then slide it in and used nuts to hold a new bracket.

good luck,
Marc
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Allright Guys, I still have you confused.

I am talking about two holes located on the frame rails on the OUTSIDE (body side) of the rails where the original tailpipe hanger went for a single exhaust. The holes are there on the frame rails on the LEFT side also, minus the threaded inserts. Go have a look at your car, at the rear of the tire. Two holes, 2 1/2" center to center.

The picture (link) Jonesy posted is correct for a factory dual exhaust, I realize that but this picture is INSIDE the frame rail.

The exhaust hangers I'm building will equate to withstanding an earthquake in a nuclear power plant in CA. I tend to over engineer parts because when it's done I don't have to worry about it.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech

I used the thread setter kit from Eastwood. http://www.eastwoodco.com/aspfiles/i...32465&T1=28083 It works like a pop rivet gun for installing threaded inserts. This tool comes in quite handy when you need to put threaded holes in sheet metal. Good luck George
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 04:09 PM

Use those crazy rubber threaded things that you use to hang the radiator (can't remember the actual name ). As mentioned, the FlowMaster kit came with two of those threaded rubber things to fill in the exact same two holes that you mentioned on the frame rail. Just below the wheelhouse on the drivers side? You have to enlarge the holes just bit. And just use 3/8" bolts to hold your bracket on. The pressure of the bolts and rubber hold it in place. Mine was an I6 and had the same thing.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

[This message has been edited by Judd (edited 10-18-2002).]
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 02, 05:06 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
the rubber inserts with threads are called " well nuts" or something like that.... I got mine at the local hardware store <home depot> in the nut and bolt section.<lawson boxes>

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 02, 08:34 AM
sfcamaro69

drew69,

sorry I wasn't clearer before. But I knew you were talking about the otuside wall of the frame rail. When I said "inside" I meant the interior of the outside wall where the the threaded piece is welded too.

With my solution in about 15 mins you end up with 2 very clean looking, sturdy threaded posts sticking out towards the outside of the car about 3/16" past the frame rail and with no drilling or welding. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures.

-Marc

[This message has been edited by sfcamaro69 (edited 10-22-2002).]
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 02, 10:50 AM

Look at my link below..........
You will see the exact holes you speak of.
My 68' came with threaded inserts on all 4 holes on both sides.
I still have the original brackets too!

------------------
Y2K YELLOW C5
BEST TIMES W/ BALD @#% EMT's & POWERLOADER II:
60'=2.02
1/8=8.54 @85.69mph
1/[email protected] (3,470 lbs. race ready)
1999 GMC SHORT BED SLE
1996 IMPALA SS (4,360 lbs. race ready)14.82 @ 92.59 MPH
1972 ELCAMINO (UNDER RESTORATION!)
1968 CAMARO COUPE (3,490 lbs. race ready)13.80, 1.94 60' & 100.44 MPH with old 4.56 10 bolt rear.
1966 Mustang Hardtop (UNDER RESTORATION!)
Vice-Chairman, Virginia Section of SAE.
Link to my 10/12 bolt conversion http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/30s...pictures.shtml
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 02, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

A&N , Thanks that picture shows what I am talking about well. Nice job with the car!

I went with 5/16"-18 threaded steel inserts in those exact holes and it worked well. I did have to open the holes up a little bigger to get the inserts to fit.

Now all I need is a mig welder.

Thanks, Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode