ZZ3 Engine Questions - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 04, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

I have a 67 that I bought that has a ZZ3 engine in it. I was wondering what type of mods I can do to get more power. I was thinking of just buying a 383 stroker crate to put in, but since the engine is relatively new, I thought maybe I can get some good power out of this block. Any ideas & costs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 04, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Don

One thing that really helps is this EPS manifold.

If you don't need anything more than 5500 RPM, it made a very impressive seat-of-the-pants improvement to the bottom end power in one that we did. The Holley 670 Avenger carb works well with it.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 04, 10:08 PM
Senior Tech

fastburn heads, HOT cam, 1.6 roller rockers, and a Performer RPM intake with an 850 Holley on it..

what's that make, you ask?
ZZ430- 430 HP and idles like a stocker. yeah, i know the ZZ430 used different pistons than the ZZ3, but i think it should be very close, power-wise.
i figure less than $2000 to do it, but you could get some of that back by selling your old cam, heads, and intake off.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 04, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions. The fastburn sounds interesting. Is that a kit? I'll see if I can find it. I would definitely like to get some info about it. Idling like a stroker? I use to have a stang with a 347 stroker, so that would nice to get that back. Hopefully it would be more street drivable than my previous stroker.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 04, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech
Al

norcalcamaro,

Actually, he said it will idle like a "stocker", not a "stroker" [img]smile.gif[/img]

And he is absolutely right. I have that exact setup on a 383. It idles very smoothly and runs like a striped ape when you nail it.

The heads are $1200ish complete. The hot cam kit is $525, includes cam, 1.6 roller rockers(Crane), and valve springs. The FB heads come with the correct springs, so you can save a few buck by just buying cam and rockers. You'll also need a "vortec" style intake manifold. Perf RPM vortec works very well. I would imagine you'll need a timing set as well, and GM sells a very nice single roller design for ~$60.

This is just one of many ways to go - but it is a tried and true combo that works very well on a street type car.

Info and prices here:

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/frame.html

Under "PAGE SEARCH" enter "fast Burn Heads" and "Hot Cam Kit"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 04, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech

the parts are available at any GM dealer- but shop around to find one that will deal with you and sell them for less than retail. i think Jeg's carries this stuff too, so it might be worth giving them a call.
here's a list of the parts needed for the swap
fastburn heads- part number 12464298- 2 required
head gasket part number 12557236- 2 required
HOT cam part number 24502586
rocker arms part number 12370839
intake gasket part number 1259094
timing set part number 12371043
you also need Vortec intake bolts and a Vortec style intake, but Edelbrock makes several intakes for those heads from a Performer on up to a full race single plane Victor, and ARP bolts are cheaper than the GM stuff.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 04, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

wow, I'm very excited to order & have these parts installed.
thanks everyone
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 04, 08:03 AM

Before buying parts what is the rest of your combo??
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 04, 09:48 AM
Senior Tech

the beauty of this combo is that if you have crappy gears and a low stall converter and if you have an automatic tranny, it will still run pretty good.
but it does like 3.70 or 4.10 gears and probably at least a 2500-3000 converter.
i drove my Nova for a couple months with the 355 that had the HOT cam kit with vortec heads with 2.56 gears and a slipping automatic tranny, and it ran pretty good. it felt like a stock 350 off the line with a top end charge you wouldn't believe.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 04, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech

what size engine is your ZZ3...norcalcamaro...just curious. Will that edelbrock eps intake work well with my 350...especially sinse i want alot of low to mid range torque??

'69 SS 350 Camaro (true X55)<br />350 turbo with shift kit<br />3.55 posi rear end<br />favorite Bible verse...all of 'em!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode