tired of my car missing im racking my brain!!!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 03, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thumbs down

i have a 88 iroc with stock tpi 350 and i im not pulling up any codes.the damn car has a miss every so often.sometimes when i come to a stop it will die.you name it ive replaced it:cap , plug wires , spark plugs , fuel filter,checked injectors
rotor, cap , oxygen sensor, vacuum lines , catalytic converter .egr doesnt leak by and has vacuum to it when i rev it a little.i also changed the throttle body out with another from another car.changed out computers and distributer,no change.please give me some insight.or if anyone knows of a good mechanic who knows how to work on tpi fuel injection in the dallas/ft. worth area............thanks billy

[ 10-22-2003, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: 69z28rsbilly ]

69 rs/z28 <br />711 72 72<br />12c x33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 03:22 AM
a67

The MAF. With the engine idling tap on the MAF with a screwdriver handle. If the engine stumbles the MAF is bad.

Disconnect the MAF connector and drive the car. If it runs better the MAF is bad.

Check intake duct work for debris. Know of one guy that ended up with a leaf up against the MAF screen after an air cleaner change.

Bob.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i have also checked the mass air flow senser no change [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img]

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 06:26 AM
Senior Tech

You won't get a trouble code for a problem in the secondary side of the ignition ( plugs & wires), unless it is a complete failure, then your code might indicate a rich mixture,
You say you only get a stumble miss as you come to a stop so then my guess your problem is not in the engine but in the tranni, The Torque convertor is staying in lock up,, as you come to a stop, Drop the pan from the trans and replace TCC switch.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 03, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

the engine starts cutting out around 220 degrees F every time.its not a constant cut out either.buup........bup..buup ...bp..........bup.buup .ive worked on lots of my own t.p.i. systems but this one has really got me baffled.
please help
and send reinforcments!!!!!!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 03, 01:51 AM
Senior Tech

do you have the equipment to interface with the computer?
Milan

67 Blown Alcohol Camaro "The Combat Rat" 8-71 and E-85/71 BB SS Chevelle "cheap street" (clone) 12.871 @ 107.59 w/1.915 60' and spinning /2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv./74 454 El Camino .
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 03, 05:17 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

If the TCC is remaining locked when coming to the stop, the engine would just stall...just as if you had a manual tranny and didn't engage the clutch.

My truck doesn't have a computer, but it did the same thing when I accidentally advanced the timing about 4 degrees too far. Some of those motors are advanced so far from the factory, that any more will causes a periodic miss. Not sure how that relates to you car, though.

Do a compression test for a blown head gasket. That's also a probable cause.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 03, 06:19 AM
a67

Quote:
Originally posted by 69z28rsbilly:
the engine starts cutting out around 220 degrees F every time.its not a constant cut out either.buup........bup..buup ...bp..........bup.buup .ive worked on lots of my own t.p.i. systems but this one has really got me baffled.
please help
and send reinforcments!!!!!!
Ahh, heat related on a 3rd gen. 99% of the time this is an ignition module problem. Can also be the pickup coil (in distributor) or ignition coil. Does it ever want to not start when hot? Then does later once it cools for a while? If so, ignition module first, pickup coil second.

Bob.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 03, 08:33 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I've usually found when a ignition module gets overheated, it just plain quits...no periodic misfire. Is there something different about the 3rd gen motors?

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 03, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

ive changed the whole distributor out from another car just like it a while back.used other coils also.i dont think the tranny(tcc)is causing the miss at all.i applied a vacuum gauge to the e.g.r. and it has a slow leak,could this be the problem.what other ways could i check for a bad e.g.r.......clueless in texas?????????

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 03, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

anyone else.......please!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 03, 07:16 AM

Might sound a little like a stab in the dark but have you checked the charcoal canister. I just had to throw my 2 cents worth in!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode