Worth re-building ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 03, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a 396 that was built about 10 years ago.
I remember when my buddy ( I am not a engine builder ) got the long block finished and we placed the new intake on the motor the intake would not fit.
The intake looked too big, too wide, and was sent to a machine shop to be cut down some. The shop cut material off both head mating surfaces.
Before the intake went to the shop it looked to me like two things could be wrong...
1 - the new Edelbrock intake was simply too big. That just seems too odd to be true.
2 - Or.. the heads, block had been shaved down quite a bit.

The engine has been in several cars and driven on nice weekends. Never raced but stomped on a regular basis on the street for fun.
The only recurring issue with the motor is shattered ( I mean Shattered ! ) rocker arms. Random bent push rod with that too.

So I wonder what negative events happen when heads-block get shaved down ?
Any way to tell if a block-head combo is shaved ? can I tell if shaved too much ?
If the heads come down a bit shouldnt the push rods been shorter too ? does that matter ?

So my main question reamins, is it worth re-builing a block-head combo that might be shaved a unknown amount ?

I am sure I missed some vital bit of info, please ask away..

And the motor still runs ok. Burns and drips oil but over all ok.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 03, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Maybe rocker arm geometry issues from the machining causing the pushrods to be too long?

-Mark.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 03, 02:17 PM
Senior Tech
Al

A good machine shop would be able to measure the deck height on your block and tell you if it's within spec. Most likely the heads have been milled a time or two, hence the poor fit of the intake. In addition to what stingr69 said, coil bind or valve guide interference with the spring retainer could be causing your rocker arm/pushrod problems. Again, your machinist should be able to take the precise measurements you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 03, 03:20 PM

I have ran into problems like that on a BB that was zero decked. The intake side of the heads needed cut for the intake to fit properly. I didn't have any rocker arm problems though. Stock lenth pushrods, rockers, lifters worked fine. If the deck has been cut just make sure you use the right thickness head gasket. I don't remember what the clearences are off the top of my head. I had to use a .051" copper head gasket to get the clearence.

Thanks, Harlan
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 03, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Cool. no one has screamed to run away from this engine.
hgerrick - cut the heads huh ? This guy had the intake cut down. Same total effect I would guess. I would assume that a standard head gasket was installed.
Thanks for the info.

My Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode