balancer install - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

hi all!
i just got a new harmonic balancer from professional products,it seems to be a nice piece and a few here have reccomended them.mine is the 6 3/4"lightweight(non sfi)model.
problem is that when i cranked it down i am approximately 1/4"from having the crank pulley lining up with the others(not seating all the way)
this is on an 80-84 4bolt block,the balancer i had on it from a '78 monte carlo lined up perfectly.maybe a woodruff key slipped?there are two slots on the crank and i have a key in each one.i installed the balancer with a proform installer and don't have access to a torque wrench at this time i tightenedtil the engine turned over and a bit more but i'm still 1/4"out.could this be a pulley issue?
thanks as always in advance for your thoughts/opinions on this issue!
Eric

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 02:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

It's quite possible the dampner is slightly thicker. When I went with an ATI, I had that same problem.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

hey rick'how did you get around this?i have a serpentine style alternator belt.

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

It could be possible the key moved, but, I thought woodruff keys were used. I can see a square key doing this. A couple of fixes, 1. Is the crank timing chain sprocket thicker than the one before? 2. You could have the small end re-machined shorter in length, or get a smaller thickness sprocket/set.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 04:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

In my case, I shimmed the water pump pulley and alternator out using washers. Pretty easy. I have v-belts but I would think it would be the same process.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 02:25 PM
Bill

Eric,
The damper should not be any thicker if it was manufactured properly. Same with the timing chain sprocket on the crank. Are you absolutely sure it is on all the way ? Some of them get VERY tight for the last 1/2" or so. I always use antiseize on the damper and snout of the crank. The wrench I have for my installer is about 2 ft long, and it still takes a lot of "grunt" to get them on sometimes.
The only way to tell for sure is to pull it back off and do some measuring before reinstalling it.
Hope this helps,

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 02:35 PM

Smile

And you might smack her good using a three pound Ford Tool and a hard block of wood when she's down close!!! Then keep torquing on your breaker bar... pdq67

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 05:45 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Lightbulb

If i remember correctly you should have a about 3/4 of an inch of depth from the crank snout to the balancer. could be a 1/2 inch just been to long for me to remember. Can anyone help on this?

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

well guys thanks for all the opinions! in the end billk's "get a bigger wrench" theory saved the day!
last night when i was doing the swap the engine was still a bit warm and i have a feeling this had a bit to do with the incredible force that i was having to exert to install this piece!i was seriously worried about stripping the crank snout threads!today once things were cold it was a bit better going together and i finally felt it seat.
all lined up well and now i have a hundred other questions that i will be posting in the performance section.the old balancer appeared to be about 20*too advanced.or is this one wrong?etc.......
again you guys are the best and since i dont have ANY mechanically minded friends i dont know what i'd do without y'all! [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
thanks so much
Eric
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 03, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Good to read the h/b is on all the way. The problem with the off 20* on timing marks is due to mismatch of h/b and timing cover years. If one buys a h/b for a particular year, then one should buy the timing cover/pointer for the same year. I believe the changeover was in '72(?).

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 03, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Some have it so you shoot the timing from the left side and others from the top looking behind the water pump. If you have a long water pump and the correct timing cover this works on any small block. You will never be able to see the timing mark if you have a short water pump. You can always find TDC and install a new marker and remark the balancer with timing tape or make a new groove and paint it white or ??. Just all thoughts here as the old balancer could be of some use with the right parts or re-engineering to suit your need.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode