'69 Z-28 Harmonic Balancer - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 02, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
BUD

I need the correct harmonic balancer for my 69 302. I have listed this in the parts wanted section, but no contacts so far. I went to Rick's this past weekend and checked their's out and it was only a replacement. I contacted Ground Up about their listing and was told they only had a balancer in stock for a 454. I talked to D&R and the new ones they have listed turned out to be some used ones that needed refurbishing. these were still around $200. Does anyone know of a vendor, etc. that may have a new or serviceable used one. The original GM part is 3947708. Any leads are appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 02, 06:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Classic Industries shows one. Is the part # stamped on the damper? I have one that I took of of my DZ and need to ID it.
Gary

------------------
69 Lemans Blue X33

[This message has been edited by Gary L (edited 11-11-2002).]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 03:01 AM

You can steal get it from GM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech

BUD, I far as I can tell there are no casting or part numbers stamped on these balancers. I can get you an original GM 8" balancer (keyway and timing mark not in line)all cleaned up and painted for $35 + shipping. Let me know.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
BUD

The balancer for the 69 Z-28 is part Number 3947708 and some tell me the "708" is cast on the balancer. Also the arms or spokes that radiate from the hub(center) are raised, from the hub out to the ring. I've seen replacements from GM and they are not the same. Thanks for the input.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech

I'll see if I can get a picture of the ones I'm talking about and email it to you for your review.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 12:05 PM
Kevin

I agree with BUD, there should be a 7708 stamped on the front of hub. It's usually filled in with paint and only shows up with glass beading.

The SS350 balancers I've had were stamped 7704 and the raised hubs only went to the edge of the pulley.

Used ones are out there, keep looking.

Get Jerry MacNiesh's book for a good pic, then call him to see if he has one. www.z28camaro.com

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, 3.55 posi too! Driver
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 02:47 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I have two of these. My original (I know It's original) has #3942538 cast in the back of it. The replacement I bought from GM 1n 1988 (just in case) has the same number cast in it. The part number used to order it was #3947708. This number is right out of the 69 Camaro parts book.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode