305ci engine.........how much is the 'real' HP? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

I have a 305ci engine in my '67 Camaro and as my Camaro is in the speedshop at the moment, I can't give any numbers on the engine.

What I do know is that the engine is a stock 2bbl 305ci out of a 76-79 car (I thought out of a camaro) with approximately 130-140 hp.

How much hp does this engine realy have? Someone told me that it should have more hp then GM rated at that time (due to some regulations or so), like the Z28 was rated at 290hp while it should be much more.

Does anyone can help me with this?

David
'67 Camaro crossram
'67 Camaro convertible SS/RS clone project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 08:34 AM

Angry

I gotta feeling that it is pretty close at what you said. I think you are talking about gross and net ratings as well as with some of the hi-po engines like the 302, GM rated them for insurance purposes down the rpm curve to sorta derate them when in all rights, they should have been rated up where peak hp was being produced.

The L-88 was another engine that GM did this to... Something like 430hp at 5200 or maybe 5400rpm when in fact it should have been like 530hp at 6200rpm or so!!!

pdq67

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

So you also think it would be more then 140 hp, like maybe 180-190 hp...... I don't have a clue at how much I should think of!!

David
'67 Camaro crossram

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 09:35 AM
Senior Tech

it doesn't matter how much horsepower it has, all that matters is how fast it is. you don't race dyno's, ya know.
you probably don't really want to know what the power is- it just isn't cool to say "my smogger 305 has AT LEAST 160 horsepower and pushes my car to high 15's'/low 16's at almost 80 mph in the quarter mile".

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

I know what you mean Nova, but I just wanted to know how precise the ratings were back then....
I took my engine as an example, because it is an engine from after the 'oil-crisis', and the guy who told me all this, finds it real 'strange' that the engines after the oil-crisis were so low rated in comparison with the same engine pre-oilcrisis.....

David
'67 Camaro crossram
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 11:37 AM

The rating GM gave it was pretty good from the factory in those years. The only years that were underrated where in the 60's and maybe 98-02 with the LS1. Your 305 is at roughly 145 horse to 135. A 305 is kinda of the worst of both worlds in SBC terms. The small block was made to rev fast and high, the 305 cant do this because of the insane long stroke which is the same as a 350 and the tiny bore. Its a good combo for torque but after 4000 rpm it is all done. It is a truck motor in many terms because of the good low end torque.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech

Angry

DL, your '67 is COOL!! I love that color!!
Check out my page from my signature and see the pics of my '69. Be sure to click the link at the bottom for "main" page also for more pics. You will see my 305 and how I have it tricked out. My motor is from a 1976 Chevelle Malibue and it originally had a 2 bbl carburetor. It was rebuilt at a speed shop with a lot of performance parts. The guy I bought it from told me he had it bored oversize, put on roller rockers, double row timing gear/chain, etc. It had a Holley 650CMF carb on it but I changed it to an Edelbrock 600 CFM and changed out the main metering rods and step up springs. Now my car has the original 3:08 rear end and 3 speed tranny but that little 305 will scoot!!! It does not have a posi rear end but it will hook both up and smoke 'em!!!!

[ 03-10-2003, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: supv26 ]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 03, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

Hey Supv26, thanks for the compliment [img]smile.gif[/img] I have to say that your '69 is also awsome!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Your engine looks great like that!! If you see mine your face will turn blue....... The previous ownes painted my engine blue [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] and it is a chevy engine
Anyway thank you all for the info on the engine! In a (few) years there will be a 383 in it, so at this moment I will be cheaper in gasoline [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

David
'67 Camaro crossram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode