Head Gaskets for Vortecs - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I found out that my '96 Vortec engine came with GM p/n 10105117 head gaskets. These are .028" thick. This engine is supposed to have 9.4:1 compression stock. Since I am changing the stock cam to one with more duration (X4280HR - 280/284 duration), should I try to use a thinner head gasket, such as the Fel-Pro p/n 1094 which measures .015" ?

I want to add to my compression for more power or at least not lose any by changing to this cam (I plan to run 93 octane gas). Would anyone know how much the compression in a 9.4:1 350 ci motor would increase by changing only the head gasket from .028" to .015" ?

Are there any problems with getting a good seal in using a head gasket this thin ? Thanks, Ron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 05:12 PM
Senior Tech

As you probably know, any head gasket that will work on a regular 350 will work with the vortecs. Most people seem to have good luck with the 1094's. I personally don't feel comfortable using a gasket that thin on an undecked block and unsurfaced heads. Have you measured the deck height on your engine? If you decide on the 1094's, make sure it won't put your deck height under about .040. It shouldn't if you have a stock shortblock, but you need to check to make sure. GM still makes the .028 gaskets, BTW.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 04, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

When you say "deck height" do you mean the distance from the highest part of the piston when it is at TDC to the surface of the block ? I will check that.

My block and heads have not been re-surfaced. I'd like to have a little extra compression, but not if I'm at risk of tearing back into this thing and replacing head gaskets soon.

If I do stay with the .028" gaskets, would you recommend the GM ones (I didn't have any trouble with them) or would another brand (like Fel-Pro) be a better choice ?

Thanks once again for your help Travis.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 04, 04:49 AM
Senior Tech

I am sure the GM gaskets are just fine. I think Eric68 on here uses a victor-reinz nitro-seal gasket that is either .026 or .028 thick and he has had good luck with his. Maybe he can chime in here.
Yes, the deck height is the distance from the top of the piston to the blocks deck surface.
Considering the general rule of thumb that 1 point of compression is worth 4% in power, even with a 400hp engine you are looking at maybe a 5hp difference between a .015 and a .028 head gasket. Your compression isn't to the point where you have to nail down those last .001's to get the perfect quench. My 355/vortec truck engine has a terrible .040 deck height and standard .041 head gasket and with 9.4-1 compression and a XE268 cam, it gets driven daily with 89 octane fuel. It has run on 87 in a pinch. The vortec heads are that good [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 04, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'll just stick with the GM .028" gaskets that came factory on it then, unless someone has a better recommendation for the price. I can get them from the dealer here for about $18.00 each. Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode