Muncie M-22 or tremec 5 speed - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 02, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

I was planning on getting a muncie rock crusher for my 68 cause ive heard theyre awesome trannies. But lately ive been reading that the tremecs are pretty good. The main thing i like is 5speed, cause i got a 12bolt 4:10.
I plan to make it a street/strip car, with very little highway driving, but even back road driving at about 60-65, i'd prob. be taching around 4300 right?(w/ muncie)

I wanna not hafta drive my car at those rpms all the time, but at the same time, i want the classicness of the m-22.

Any opinions/suggestions?

------------------
79 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Parts car
68 Camaro Parts car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 02, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech

Check my post under "which trans do fit the camaro?" in this forum.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 02, 03:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

What rear gears do you have. That's a pretty steep rpm. I have 4.10's with short tires and tach around 4000. I just had an Autogear M22 built and like it. However, that overdirve would be nice for close to the same $. The other thing to consider is the first gear ratio coupled with your rear gears.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,Autogear M22,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 02, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

sounds like you have made up your mind... i was cruising at 4000-4500 with my M20... the tremec im going to buy will be welcomed! and it hold 525 foot lbs of torque (or a little more). im planning on taking mine to the strip too!

(maybe DJD can get me a 200R4 by then
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 02, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Yea but im pretty sure a rebuilt m-22 will hold up to quite a bit more than 525 foot/lbs. I dont know. It sounds like there is alot of conversion work for the tremec, and the more i talk to my dad about the m-22, the more i like it
I'll probaly go for the m22, but any more suggestions are welcome.

------------------
79 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Parts car
68 Camaro Parts car
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 02, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

here is a site i found for m22's.
Do you guys think these are rebuilt properly, does this guy have a good reputation. And on the torque note earlier, what do you think these would hold up to hp/tq?
http://www.jetboatbill.com/m22new2.htm

thanks

------------------
79 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Parts car
68 Camaro Parts car
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 02, 11:05 AM

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 02, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech

Is there a reason you want a 2.20 low Muncie for a street car? From personal experience it is the worst thing you can use even with a big block. In actual truth it really isn't much stronger than an M21 and sure costs a lot more money.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 02, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Why wouldnt I want to use it?
From what I heard, they're awesome trannies that hold up to a decent amount of power

------------------
79 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Parts car
68 Camaro Parts car
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 02, 05:11 PM

m22 is a really noise tranny. "From what I hear", Ill tell you what you hear and it is alot of whinning.... the 2.20 gear isnt very low at all and if any gm tranny I would get the M20 if you must have the manual and but put 3.73 gears in. Truely manuals break lots of parts when raced and are not great in heavy traffic. they still hold a certain cool factor but the novality soon wears off when you go from 2nd to 1st shifting at 6K and the moter throws a rod.... I also and am experienced in the fact that auto's will out run you at the strip given equal power. You just cant launch a manual like an auto. Just my ideas but if it is a true manual car you have to keep the manual but if you are going from auto to a manual you arnt serious about racing and will regret it later if life when the rearend and u joints go out.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 02, 06:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

The biggest disadvantage to the M22 is that first gear is ssssoooo tall; even with a 4.11 gear it's tall and any rear gear in that range is miserable on the freeway. That's where the TKO shines. It has a much lower first gear and fifth is 33% overdriven so you can have a low rear gear for good acceleration and still get on the freeway without taching 4000 rpm. I also think the Tremec TKO is stronger, but both trannies are pretty tough.

Jody

------------------
MY CAMARO
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 02, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MoeSS396:
m22 is a really noise tranny. "From what I hear", Ill tell you what you hear and it is alot of whinning.... the 2.20 gear isnt very low at all and if any gm tranny I would get the M20 if you must have the manual and but put 3.73 gears in. Truely manuals break lots of parts when raced and are not great in heavy traffic. they still hold a certain cool factor but the novality soon wears off when you go from 2nd to 1st shifting at 6K and the moter throws a rod.... I also and am experienced in the fact that auto's will out run you at the strip given equal power. You just cant launch a manual like an auto. Just my ideas but if it is a true manual car you have to keep the manual but if you are going from auto to a manual you arnt serious about racing and will regret it later if life when the rearend and u joints go out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol-acutally ive heard that they make that "whining" sound, but everyone said it was kinda cool.
Im not trying to get the best times, but if i was, it still wouldnt turn me off. My dads old 68 had an m22 and ran 10's with a built 427 and a narrowed dana 5:86(Around this ratio anyway)
I just want an overall cool tranny-but I kinda want an overdive, hehe. Maybe I'll just settle for no highway.

lol I dunno

------------------
79 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Parts car
68 Camaro Parts car

[This message has been edited by Dolman (edited 10-05-2002).]
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 02, 03:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

After 1000 miles, here's my impressions on the M22, having gone from a M20:

The 2.20 first gear doesn't make much difference. This is with my 4.10's.

The gear whine isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I will say starting off that 1st gear is LOUD. Once under way, the gears are making a more subtle whine which sounds OK.

Although my motor is busy on the street, it doesn't bother me. But it's a personal thing. My car is more a local point and shoot. I still have to do tires/wheels which will soften it up a bit.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,Autogear M22,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 02, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Cool, you've got the same setup that ive got. What do you tach around 55-60?
Most of my driving would be like 25-35 mph, but occasionly I might want to go to my girlfriend's house like 40 min away, so I dont think an m-22 would be too much of a problem since I'm not going like that every day.
Actually I dont even plan to drive it every day so I think everything might work out.

Does it shift nice?any better than the m-20?

------------------
79 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Z-28
68 Camaro Parts car
68 Camaro Parts car
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 02, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech

Your not going over to your girlfriend's house everyday? So is she seeing someone else??

SORRY, just had to do it!!

------------------
Kevin

68 Camaro SS - 383, Edlebrock Performer RPM, Trick Flow 23 degree heads, edlebrock 750cfm carb, dynomax headers, Tremec TKO, 3.73 Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode