68 big block swap frame mounts - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

I have a 68 Camaro that originally came with a small block and still has one. I want to go to a big-block. I think the actual frame mounts will work but what is it with the correct mounts ? I heard the motor ends up being "offset" a bit ? Is this for clearance of something ? I would like to do this swap intelligently so where can I get the correct frame mounts if I need them ? What about the heater ? Can I put a big block heater core in my box and drill holes in the middle of the cover ? Thanks for your time guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 03:13 AM
Senior Tech

It will go in but there is a real problem with the exhaust on the drivers side. I know it won't work if you have power steering. I have seen some cobbled up ones with manual steering where the header was beat about half closed. The small block heater box will work but it is really tight and looks bad.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 03:13 AM
Tech Team

Frank, I'm in the process of a small block to bigblock swap. The frame mounts are different from 67,68 to 69. Part of this is if your familiar with big blocks of these years the water pump is considered a "short" pump for 67,68 and a "long" for 69.This makes all the mounts, brackets,pulleys etc. different.This is one of the reasons people have trouble with header installations, the mounts place the motor in a slightly different spot. they'll work but the small clearances that you have with a big block are jeopardized. Check with the big camaro suppliers like Classic, Rick's, D&R, etc. they should be able to hook you up. The heater box I believe would not have the clearance at the valve cover, the big block version is slightly depressed in this area.Good luck, Chris

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 05:56 AM

i'm in the process of reinstalling a bb into an original bb car that had a 350 put in it, and here are my observations for whatever they are worth...if you use sb frame mounts, you will more than likely have some header clearance problems, but you can still use the sb 4 sp xmember and you would still have enough room to keep the heater hoses where they are...however, if you use the bb frame mounts, which offset the engine toward the passenger side, then you will need to modify the tranny xmember holes and you will have to use the bb heater box...my advice, go with the correct bb frame mounts and modify your xmember and add the bb heater cover...my bb xmember is out of the car right now, and if like i can make some measurements on where the offset holes are located
-------------
Bob
'67 rs/ss 396 ragtop
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 07:26 AM
Senior Tech

I replaced a sb with a BB in a 68 and used the small block frame mounts with Moroso solid engine mounts, sb heater box, headers with manual steering, TH400 and it all fit --with no modifications. I wonder it it was just a lucky combination?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech

Frank, you didn't mention if your car has PS or not which I think is the key. I'm doing the same swap on a '69 WITH PS and finding headers that fit even with the correct frame mounts has been a real headache. Finally went with a set of Hedman shorty headers which still are going to require a bit of grinding on the PS unit and perhaps some gentle massaging of one of the pipes.

My suggestion, if you have PS, absolutely get the right big block frame mounts. I'd check eBay for a set of original ones because I've heard that the repro's may not be exactly spot on. I have repros and that could be some of my problem but at this stage of the game I'm not going to mess with them any more. It fits good enough.

[This message has been edited by JonT (edited 07-27-2001).]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 07:44 AM

does anyone know what the correct part numbers are for the BB frame mounts? i believe my 67's are original, the drivers side is taller, but i never checked the #'s
-------------
Bob
'67 rs/ss 396
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 01, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

My car does have power steering and power brakes also. Any recommandations as to which brand/model of headers fits the best ?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 01, 06:16 AM
Tech Team

Hey Frank, I recently installed a 502 in my 68, went with Hooker Super comp headers, cost around $400. Also have power steering on my 68, its tight and requires the correct frame mounts which I got from D&R for about $60, only real modification so far was to the Z bar

------------------
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 01, 03:20 PM
David Pozzi

I just added some engine mount info to my page. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...aro_engine.htm
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 01, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech

David excellent job! I just ran off some copies. the next time I try to explain it to someone I will just hand them a copy. Thank you.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 01, 01:38 AM

Thanks, David. Now I can fax a picture with a circle around it to the supplier. That MIGHT help them understand what I'm looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode