Different flywheel ?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

My '69 came with a Saginaw floor shift 3 speed, which I am now changing over to a Muncie 4 speed...... the current clutch plate is the 10.4 in.... the Centerforce Dual friction is 11 inches..... does this mean I have to get a different flywheel or are they the same flywheel, just different clutch plate sizes ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 04:42 PM

yes you will have to go with a 14 inch fly wheel for an 11 inch clutch.i believe this is correct.what you have now is probably a 12inch flywheel
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Well I did a search and it looks like you are right.....

12.5 inch flywheel goes with 10.4 inch clutch and 14 inch with 11 inch clutch.

I guess if I want to switch to an 11 inch clutch, I would have to change the flywheel, clutch fork and bellhousing.......

I think I'm just going to stick with the 10.4 inch and not have to change a ton of stuff.

Is there anything else that i need to change going from a Saginaw to a Muncie ?? The bellhousing is the same isnt it ????

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 05:10 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

There are 14" flywheels drilled for both patterns and 14" flywheels drilled for 10.4" only in addition to the 14" flywheels for 11" clutch we typicaly see on big blocks and 350 small blocks. I just swapped out the big 14" flywheel/small 10.4" clutch for a small 10.4" clutch/small 12-3/4" flywheel.

More to the topic...Centerforce sells the 10.4" as well as the 11" in dual friction as I have the 10.4" DF setup on my car. As I remember, the catalog online is a bit confusing but they do make the setup you want. Jeg's sells them for $265 under P/N 183DF271675 for the 10.4" x 10 spline and throwout bearing P/N 183N-1716 for $33.

You will need a "403" bellhousing and dust cover. No biggie at about $50 and $12 Respectively.

-Mark.

[This message has been edited by stingr69 (edited 04-08-2002).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I wouldn't go to the trouble to change everything out. The 10.4 incher will work fine. I use a Centerforce II 10.4 behind my 500 HP supercharged small block with no problems.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/16/01 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 11:38 AM
David Pozzi

If centerforce GAVE me an 11" clutch, I'd still go out and buy a 10.4 to use behind my planned high 500 horse SB.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.... I'm going to stick with the 10.4 inch set-up

Is there anything else I'm going to need to change to go from a Saginaw to a Muncie ???? Bellhousing ? Clutch fork ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode