Muncie Gear oil ????? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I need to know what weight and how much gear oil a 67 Muncie 4-speed will take? [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 02:16 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I use Amsoil 75W90 in mine. The best oil you can buy. It takes about 1 qt. Fill it up till it just about runs out the fill hole in the case.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"

[This message has been edited by big gear head (edited 04-06-2001).]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 05:24 PM
Tech Team

I also used 75W-90 Amsoil. I put it in my '71 Z M-21. It's a cool green color.
I used almost 4 quarts to fill up my tranny and 10 bolt rear. If you use the Amsoil in the rear, you do not have to worry about an additive for the posi.

[This message has been edited by ryork (edited 04-06-2001).]

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech

Do not use synthetic I have seen some really bad things happen with it.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I've been using Amsoil for about 4 years and have seen some realy good things happen with it.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"

[This message has been edited by big gear head (edited 04-06-2001).]
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech

synth gear oil is the only way to go! better heat handling. the first generation of synth gear oil's are not very good in a used diff or tranny, but in a new one they where fine. the stuff out now is great for all.

big gear head, i just love people that do not listen or read up on subject's. like snyth oil and gear lube. by the way a synth blend is a good way to go if the cost of full synth make's your wallet like well float out into outer space. i used that on my tranny and diff's last fall i did not have the buck's for full synth at the time.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Freddie

You are right about the early synthetics causing some problems. Amsiol and a few others have solved those problems now. There is a lot of stuff out there now that claims to be synthetic but it is realy junk. I know the Amsoil is good because I have seen lower operating temps, better fuel milage, reduced wear and longer oil life. I've also seen a big difference in cold weather performance.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 08:22 AM
Senior Tech

I have never used Amsoil so I can't say how good it is. Just took apart a Super T10 that had another brand in it. The trans was perfect when put together about 500mi later it was taken out for clutch problems the trans had extremely worn gears like there was no shear strength to the fluid so that it was pushed away from the gear teeth under load.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 08:39 AM
Senior Tech

ilbl8 you are right I don't read some mags BS about there advertisers products. I speak from experence. I recently left a post about a Muncie with synthetic fliud that I had to cut the main shaft in two to get second gear off because first gear was welded to the shaft. If you are naive enough to believe what mags print It is your privilege. I don't

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 09:20 AM
Team Member
John

I don't buy the marketing hype - have used plain ordinary brand-name 80/90W gear lube in countless T-10's, Top-Loaders, and Muncies for over 30 years and never had a problem (don't drive any of them in below-zero weather anyway, which is the only apparent advantage of the lower-viscosity synthetics). Most manual trans problems are a result of having 20-year-old lube in them; how many people do you know that actually bother to suck out the old lube and replace it every few years? Most never even get the level checked, much less changed.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech

oger,

i do not go from amg artical's. i go from experiance and what the maker's of component's recomend.

every axle, tranny and motor manufature recomend's the use of full synth lube's. period.

i do not know what you do for a living but, myself, i build class 8 over the road truck's, and i also have been a auto/truck mechanic for year's. i have also been to many classes, sponcered by manufatures of these componet's, on lube and mantinance of them. now if the lube that was used did not meet the highest spec's put out by rockwell, dana/spicer and the other manufatures that might have been the problem. there are alot of claim's of full synth but they do not have the cert from the manufatures. this is because they have not gone throught the testing that lube's like amsoil have.

if memory serve's me, and big gear head correct me if i am wrong, amsoil is one of about 3 full synth lub's that have this rating, modil is anthor one and texaco too. it cost's the maker of the lube about $20,000.00 to get certified and not all the maker's do that. all so every time that a manufature changes something, i mean anything, that have to get re-certified. i have also seen test's between full synth, synth blend and regular lub's. synth and synth blen'd win hand's down perioid. we are talking thermal break down, lubrisity, every aspect that they test.

if you use a off brand or one not certified you are takeing a crap shoot with the gear box. in 98% of all new truck's i build they have full synth lub in the axles and tranny. this is because of the superior properties of the lube. this acount's for less down time and breakage due to lube related problem's. also some maunufature's are starting to say if you do not use full synth lube that meet's there spec's you void there extended warrenty.

so oger read up on this go the maker's not the mag's. this is what i do and what you said is true in the past and now if you do not use the right stuff.

oh the problem you had with that tranny could also have been bad part's and wrong clearnace's all sots of thing's beside's the lube. people like to blame lube and oil realy fast, but in my experiance, most of the time it is a bad part or not beeing put together right. i am talking human error here, and let me tell you i have toasted a few box's in my time cause i screwed up. and it was never the lub's falt. same with the stuff we get from the manufatures. all failures are related to eather no lub, not enough lube or assembly error's in the box. not the lub put in. trust me every time a axle or tranny get's bent in the dyno, yes we dyno every truck!, a big investigation is done by us and the maker. never has the lube been at falt perioid. always something elce. this was the same when i fixed the stuff to, only lube that was not changed was a problem. and that was the operator's falt. not the gear box or mechanic's.

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 04-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 04-08-2001).]
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 01, 01:15 AM
Senior Tech

I am not going to argue with you about Amsoil I have never used it. Either I am the unluckiest person in the world or there is something wrong with the synthetic oil I have tried. The only problems that have ever occured in a trans or rear end have been with synthetic oil. If you can tell me how a ST10 can be assembled wrong so that the face of the gears was worn I would like to know.
Synthetic oil is used to increase fuel mileage which it does but I am not convinced that it has the shear strength of conventional oil. Untill I am convinced that it does I stand by my position.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 01, 07:54 AM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Ask ANY Winston Cup or Busch Grand National crew chief what is in the transmission or rear end of their car. I guarentee every one of them has synthetic oil in them. I built transmissions (Super T-10s, T-101s, and Jerricos) for Brewco Motorsports (37 Kevin Grubb and 27 Casey Attwood) a few years ago and I have seen what they look like inside after full seasons of high speed laps on short tracks, super speedways and road tracks. I can tell you that the synthetic oil did an excelent job of lubricating the gears and bearings. It also handles the high temperatures MUCH better and also frees up HP because of less friction. If you check the new stuff comming from GM it will have synthetic oil in the manual transmission and rear end. There are only 2 synthetic oils I would recomend to anyone and that is first Amsoil and second Mobil 1. I dont know about Red Line, Torko or Royal Purple, but I do know that Castro Syntec, Valvoline synthetic and some of the other big names are JUNK. I don't know how they can claim to be 100% synthetic because they are NOT.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 01, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech

This is getting stupid lets just call a truce and each of us believe what we want.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 01, 03:11 PM
Senior Tech

oger,

that is cool with me. but i would be looking at the part's more then the lube, if you used a hi quality lube with the proper cert's on it you should be fine.

synth lube is getting kinda like the aditive market, alot of false claim's have been made by alot of non-full synth lube maker's. i hate this, it make's a bad name for the good maker's and there is not much that they can do about it. the court's have ruled that you can use the synth name but not have 100% full synth in the lube.

there are 2 type's of synth lube, one is a man made fully synthectic base oil, like amsoil and mobil1, the other's are a highley refinded dyno juce stuff. it has most but not all the property's of the man made synth and is cheeper to make.

in other word's full synth in my book comes from a test tube! not a refinery. but the court's have said no, the stuff from the refinery is the same stuff, or close enough to be called it. kinda like generik drug's they are chemicaly the same but may not preform exactly the same.

as for your tranny, a bad case just hair warped, or a bad gear that was not tempered right can give you what you got. a slightly warped shaft too. tranny's have a very tight tolerances and .100 of an inch can cause a problem, i have seen this too many time's. this is not your falt sometime's you just can't tell with out some very expensive eqepment and alot of money to pay for the testing.

we had a T-10 roadranger tranny puck out and the lube was right, the clutch was right, every thing was right. but after a closer look the manufacturer determend that the case was not line bored right. it was off by only .150". that was all it needed to crap out. there is alot of stress in these box's, so it dose not take much to kill one.

but hey you can belive how ever you want and so will i. and that is cool, cause that is one of the great thing's about the good old USofA! and you are not dumb or anything like that. you just have a diferant opinion and i do respect that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode