69 BB PS pump - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

I have a question concerning 69 Power Steering pumps. After thumbing through several Camaro Parts Catalogs, I noticed they all but NPD list BB and sb units separately. And of course there is a price difference. However, they all list the pump minus the reservoir for all 69 Applications. Hmmm. So I picked up the phone and called several of the local auto parts stores like Napa, AutoZone, Discount Auto and so on, and every one of the companies specified that the there is only one pump for ALL 69 V8's and separate one for the six Cylinder. Most all places are charging w/core exchange around $45 for the pump and reservoir. Can you shed some light on this topic? It is starting to look like somebody is taking advantage of the unknowingly out there.

Tom Weaver

------------------
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 11:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Tom,
I don't have an answer to your question, but just wanted to welcome you to the site. What took you so long? Did you ever find the exhaust manifolds for your BB?

------------------
Scott
68 SS BB project car
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Not yet. Still need the pass side "178" with smog holes. CAN ANY BODY OUT THER HELP? I also need a 69 late Feb or Early Mar 067 intake. I called some of the tech guys on the pum and nobody can give me a straight answer.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 04:26 PM
David Pozzi

I'd suspect a really really correct pump for a BB might have a slightly higher pressure setting.
A replacement pump from NAPA or such, would probably be more of a one size fits all deal, but would probably work fine.

There are differences in pulleys, and differences in shaft type, 75 up has a press-on pulley that is larger dia shaft. later pumps use metric fittings in the 80's.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 08-28-2002).]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech

The reservoirs are different on the 69 BB pumps, the return nozzle is pointed in a different direction due to clearance issues. After fruitlessly searching for a new pump/reservoir for my 69 BB car, I gave up and bought the pump only from Autozone (50 bucks), and reused my old reservoir. The installation was a piece of cake.......KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!

<A HREF="http://hobbystage.net/camaro/69ss396" TARGET=_blank>Hobbystage Texas Tornado Website

</A>

North Texas Camaro Club
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Can you send a good detailed pic pointing out the difference? I have an orig 69 sb unit that works just fine, but don't yet have the correct bracket to mount the unit to the block. (I have a set of Brackets comming)So from what your saying is that the sb reservoir won't clear the return line? but the bottom portion (pump) is the same? Thanks for for some insight here. Tom
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 07:10 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Hope this helps, No it's not mine http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1853797964
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

That was a tremendouse help!!! So Guessing by using the correct 69 BB Brackets, a sb pump's return line will not clear, or the rubber line would have to be bent aroubd the bracket?
----------------------------
1969 Z11 396, 4sp w/AC
I Need 69 BB Parts. Please help!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

The exhaust manifold and return line clearence using a SB pump is an issue on the BB cars. The way I understand it is this pump and brackets was used in 69 only. I'm using this same pump with reproduction brackets on my 69. I've seen these pumps and reseviors bring 175.00 at swap meets lately.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

That is scary thought of $175. Ricks offeres Orig correct remanufactured units for $129. I personally thought that was high. That is the reason for writing you guys to for the correct info. I would like to thank everybody for the tremendous amount of info provided the past two days. If you guys need to purchase "New Camaro" parts, Email me @ [email protected]. I can get a big break on parts. Once again, thanks so much for the help. "A picture is worth a Thousand words"!!!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Is that with the resevoir? Last I heard no one was reproducing the resevoir! If thats the case I don't think you'll find it any cheaper.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

I just called my parts supplier and I can sell you guys a Rebuilt Correct "69 Only" BB pump with a "NEW" Reservoir for $110. They said they are show Quality units. Lids are sold separately. These are of course special order items and take about 2-3 weeks to get in.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Sounds like a bargain if someone needs one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode