Camel Hump "Turbo heads" on a 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 01, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Question

Hi folks,
I'm trying make a decision about a pair of heads I bought for a 350 rebuild I'm doing and I welcome any ideas and advice.

I bought a pair of Camel Hump heads, dated '68 or '69 (can't remember but I'll look). I did this because they're 64cc chambers, and 1.90/1.50 valves. I want the higher compression on a 350 I'm going to hotrod. I bought them from a guy that had them on his drag car so they already have screw-in studs and guide plates. Their decks haven't been shaved. I realize they were for leaded gas engines in the "old days" and I plan to run unleaded. I want the car to be streetable. It doesn't look like the valve seats have been upgraded so should I have them done? I'd have the runners polished and ported a little too if I decide to keep them.
Then the biggest thing is NO accessory holes! I'm sure if I dig deep enough and search long and hard enough, I can come up with alternator brackets from someplace.
Are these heads worth the trouble and effort? A good pair of NEW heads with the same chambers and big valves are only $450, but I've already got these which will save me some dough.
Any advice you can share? I appreciate it!
(sorry for the long story, haven't had my java yet)

------------------
Joe
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 01, 06:56 AM

You maybe ok. I love the newer casting heads, but I see some guys running in the 11's with old doublehumps.
Be sure they are setup for unleaded fuel. Do a clean up and maybe have the valves redone with a new valve job.
And also I have heard guys tapping for accesory holes. Check with your local machine shop,but I have heard it being done.

Good luck!

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Speed Demon 750, RPM intake,Proform HEI dist.MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and 3000 stall.Powertrax NoSlip Locker
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 01, 06:51 PM
Senior Tech

I HAVE A SET OF THESE HEADS THEY ARE PROBABLY A BIT OLDER THAN 68 OR 9 BUT THEY ARE GOOD HEADS YOU CAN GET BRACKETS THAT WILL WORK MINE MOUNT TO THE MOTOR MOUNTS AND WATER PUMP AND WORK FINE . I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DRILLING THEM FOR ACC. HOLES.
MINE ARE OFF A 64 VETTE MOTOR AND ARE THE 461 CASTINGS FROM 64 GOOD LUCK
MIKE

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 03:36 AM

Cool

Do not drill the heads for accessory holes, I personally know someone that did this and broke into the waterjacket--oooooops. Major pain repairing the head after. Have the heads crack tested at the very least as these heads are known to crack in the exhaust valve seat area. Best to have them fully checked at a machine shop. Hardened exhaust seats are not necessary if the exhaust valves are still sitting up (not sunk into head). I have been running a pair of these heads on my street/strip camaro for 3 yrs without hardened seats and they have not sunk yet. It is a chance I took and got lucky, some heads are soft and the exhaust valves will sink. If you have any doubts advertise them on EBay or sell them at a swap meet, restoration guys still seek these heads. Have fun.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Smile

Thanks everybody!
In the interest of saving some $$$, I'm going to give these a shot. I'm not going to worry about accessory holes... I can get around that.
Like you said, I can always bring them to a swap meet to get rid of them.

------------------
Joe
[email protected]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech

Well I think in 69 they went to the long water pump with the accesory holes in the heads. Get a short water pump and 67-68 camaro alt brackets. Should fit fine. The alt is on the drivers side at least it is on my 67.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Guess

That's a good idea. Short water pump, drivers side.... as long as there's still enough room for the power steering pump below it.

Thanks!

------------------
Joe
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode