harmonic balancers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 03, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

I have read some of the past forums on harmonic balancers trying to find some clues to the problem i'm having.I'm having trouble timing the engine because my timing is showing to far advanced like between 30 and 40 degrees.Now on the car i'm using the 8 inch balancer,which the timing pointer is at 2:00.The other camaro has the 6-3/4 inch balancer and the timing pointer is at 12:00,which i have no problem with. so i got two new balancers , one of the 6-3/4 and one of the 8 inch. if you line up the key ways on the balancers the timing marks are off about 2 to 3 inches.which would make since if i was timing it at 12:00 and using the 6-3/4 balancer.But i'm using the 8 inch one and nothings lining up right.Are there different 350 crankshafts out there,because if there all the same,(talking about pre 86 engines with two piece rear seal)it shouldn't mater which balancer I use,as long as I use the right pointer. right ,has anyone had to modify a balancer to work right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 03, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Welcome to the Club !!

The h/b changed in '70 in relation to timing marks. Those with timing mark at 12:00, are for the long water pump starting with '70. However, there were some h/b in earlier years shown 10* off using the same pointer. I've been down that road personally myself.

The best you can do to aid in timing is to remove #1 plug, find TDC, and mark the h/b to the pointer. Make a circumference measurement, divide by 180, and mark every two degrees. I'm sure this will cure alot of your problems.

Others here have more knowledge of what part numbers go with what h/b to pointers. In fact, I have GMPP catalog and its listing of h/b. I fell asleep reading.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 03, 05:25 AM
Senior Tech

The 12:00 mark is about an inch away from the keyway, the 2:00 is more or less in line with the keyway, It's common for people to switch front covers and not have the right ballancer timing mark combo. I've found them to be about 30^ apart.

John...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 03, 07:30 AM
Team Member
John

The balancer mark changed for '69; the pre-'69 index line on the balancer was 2 degrees counter-clockwise from a line extended radially from the keyway, and the '69 and later index line was 10 degrees counter-clockwise from a line extended from the keyway. The timing cover tab also changed to match the move of the index line; you need to have the correct vintage timing cover to match the same vintage balancer, or your timing light will show either eight degrees advanced or retarded from the true reading, depending on which of the two parts is mis-matched. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode