LS1 and T-56 install - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 01, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Does anyone know what it will take to put a 2000 LS1 and T-56 from a Trans-am into a 67 camaro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 01, 11:58 AM

Lightbulb

Check out this link he's putting that combo LS1/T56 in a '88 Monte Carlo SS......
http://home.earthlink.net/~bzdel/index1.htm

Hope this helps, John Bzdel is his name, knows his stuff, has had Chevelles/Camaros
not just late model muscle....
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech

It will take a lot of fabrication. You will need custom engine mounts, custom headers, custom fuel system, you may need to move the wiper motor to clear the coil covers, ect...
It's not a bolt in compared to a LT1.
Tyler

------------------
1968 RS/SS Camaro w/ 94 vette LT-1 and T56 six speed, Cal-Tracs, Baer 12" crossdrilled brakes 17" rims, ect....
<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~speedracer68/tyler.htm" TARGET=_blank>
My 68 with LT1 and T56</A>

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have the chance to buy a wrecked 2000 Ram-Air Trans-am at a REALLY good price from a buddy. I am trying to get as much info. as possible. I'm not an expert fabricator by any means the only thing Ive done was make brackets to put coil over shocks on a my 69 Camaro and that worked fine. I'm very interested in putting a fuel injected motor in my 67 Camaro but don't want to get in too deep. Any thoughts are appreciated.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 06:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Although the LS1 is a trick piece, the LT1 will be MUCH simpler. I love the LT1's as they're very easy to work on, look trick, and everything imaginable is available to hop them up.

You might consider buying the T/A anyway and if the price is that good, part it out your self and the money you make pick up the LT1 combo.

Jody
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 01, 06:21 PM

As you can tell by my name ive got a 68 Camaro with an 98 LS1 motor and Th400 trans. I had to cut the heater box, make custom motor mounts, i had to use the corvette fuel rail, so i would have a return line. I just used an inline fuel pump and a fuel cell. Other than that it fits and i love it, its better than a LT1, because we all know those are slow....
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 01, 06:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

LT1's are slow, huh? Yeah, right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jody
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 01, 09:08 PM
Senior Tech

Bring that LS1 down here and i'll show you how slow it is! Glad to hear it fit, but a turbo 400? Why put that behind such a trick motor?

------------------
<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~speedracer68/tyler.htm" TARGET=_blank>
68-LT1-T56
</A>
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 09:33 AM

I would be glad to come down to vegas, see the lights...maybe a couple of strip clubs....and show you just how fast LS1's are....but i just dont have the luxury of being able to take a road trip like that...

what trans would you suggest? A T56? My goal is to have the fastest LS1 car in chicago, im very far from it now. I wanted an auto to race with. Ive got a 4 speed in my 56 chevy...and i have plenty of fun with that...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I E-mailed Wayne Due about the 1967 Camaro he helped install an LS-1 (Feb. 2000 Chevy High Performance) and he's sending me diagrams for the motor mounts he built. NICE GUY!!! Would you happen to have any pictures of the mounts you built? Any of the installation procedure? Will gladly pay for them.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 01:37 PM

dont have any pictures of the install, or any pictures of the motor mounts on me. Right now im 350 miles from my car, becaues im at school. However come march if you still haven't started your project, i would be happy to send you a video of the motor and mounts. Let me know....
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

That would be much appreciated.I am looking forward to this swap, looking forward to fuel injection. Is your motor stock? Any mods? How does it run? I'm curious to performance. I'm hoping that the T-56 will help out a bunch with my driveability. I have a pretty stout motor in now but it's not that good for cruising. Sure is fun from light to light!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 09:54 AM

Well, i have to say i am extremely happy with the LS1 motor. I was going to build a small block, but a week after i bought my 350 60 over block, i found the LS1 at a swap meet...it was really cheap so i bought it. The motor is bone stock even has exhaust manifolds on it. Ive got a 3500 stall, and soon a 4.10 gear. Right now ive got a 3.08 and the performance is outstanding. Lots of torque through the whole RPM range. My dad is a hemi guy and the first thing comment after he drove it was, there is power from start-to 6000 rpm. Of course he was skepitcal at first but now he loves it. I think with the right gearing, this motor can go 12.80's or better bone stock in a first gen. I know someone else who is going to be doing a LS1 in a first gen, i think they will be documenting it better than i did, he might be able to also help you out with pictures and video....
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What type of wiring harness did you use? I didn't even know the T-400 would work. I was told the mounting for the transmissions is different for the LS1.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 01, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Any other comments??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode