Alternator Help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 03, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Having trouble with throwing my alternator belt at higher rpm's. I have work on pulley alignment and think I am pretty close but it still trhrows the belt so I thought I would put a larger diameter deep groove alternator pulley to see if that would help the problem. I bought a Moroso 5" pulley that is supposed to be for GM/F**D alternators and the problem is after you install the factory spacer and fan and then the new pulley you it winds up flush with the end of the shaft with 0 room for the nut. Called my local speed shop where I bought it and all he could tell me was they sell a ton of them but I would have to call Moroso tech for any more info. I am sure I am not the first to run into this so what gives?? What an I not seeing or is there some additional parts needed like and new fan?? Thought I would try here first since it is too late to reach the tech line out east today. It is a standard mid to late 70's GM 3 wire alternator with a built in regulator.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Nobody has run into this problem before??
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 08:20 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I used to run one of those. I have slept since then but it seems to me that I may have left the little wedding ring sized spacer out when I reasembled it. The pulley has a raised area that does the same job I beleve. Just something to try. I could be wrong

-Mark.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Hey Mark!

The Moroso tech guy said leave the spacer and the fan out if needed. The most important thing is that the pulley lines up with the WP and crank pulleys. The pulley does have a raised area that looks to me like it would do the trick except it is a larger diameter that the original spacer and won't fit in the recessed area on the front of the alternator. I have a friend that has a machine shop and may have him reduce the area on the pulley to match the OD of the original spacer or just completely remove this step and use the original spacer. I plan to take the alternator with all of the original pulley hardware and the new pulley along to his shop and will set it up to put the Moroso pulley in the right location. Thx for the reply!!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Forgot to ask.......is it OK to run the alternator without the factory fan or could I experience some kind of overheating and damage to the alternator???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode