crank case vent - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

I posted a question a while back about venting the crank case through the fuel pump hole. I got a chance to drive the car yesterday and I thought I'd let you know how it worked. DONT EVER DO THIS! It does NOT work. In about 2 miles it blew out at least 2 quarts of oil, the smoke was so bad that people behind me were changing lanes trying to get out of the oil. The brakes have oil all over them and I had a hard time stopping the car. I spent several hours last night trying to get most of the oil off of the car. There was oil on the door, windshield, quarter pannel, rear bumper, all over the engine and all under the car. When I went out into the garage this morning there was still oil dripping of of it. [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

'69 RS/SS396 pro street/427/4spd/9"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Yikes!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 03, 02:42 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

That sounds like a real mess! I welded a 90 degree elbow to my fuel pump block off plate and connected a hose to it that ran up the side of the block to the level of the valve cover. At the top of the hose I put a valve cover breather. It never leaked one single drop during years of street driving and frequent trips down the drag strip. Maybe I just got lucky?

68 Camaro, 555 big block, Doug Nash 5-speed, 3.54 gear.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 03, 05:13 AM
Retired
Jim

OOPS Freddie. What a mess. Thats got to be worse than when my PS hose blew fluid all over under my hood. At least I wasnt driving when it let go but still, yuck Hope it cleans up for ya.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 03, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech

I also vented my engine at the fuel pump block off plate years ago and have never had a problem!

Freddie, I don't know what the condition of your engine is, but to lose that much oil, you must have some serious blow-by happening, or there is something else going on..

My car has a elbow welded to the block off plate and a small breather attached directly to the other end with a piece of rubber hose-and I don't get any oil on the block or anywhere else!

Sorry to hear about the mess. Seriously though, I would be looking further into why there is so much pressure in your crankcase. Was that point the ONLY location that the block is vented? I have breathers at the valve covers, and at the block off plate and perhaps this has something to do with it? Perhaps if that was the only location that the pressure could go, it would take a lot of oil with it..

Things that immediately come to mind
1.Too much windage in the crank case. Oil being whipped up into the air stream and then being exhausted with the air.
2. Oil level too high.
3. Too much blow-by.
4. Not enough venting for the crank case.

Try putting your hand over the pipe/hose where you had a breather attached with the engine running and see if you have any pressure blowing/pushing on your hand.

Please let us know how this turns out.

1969 383CI, T-56, 12 bolt-3.31 posi, 13" C5 Rotors, PBR Calipers, rear disc system..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 03, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

My vent was also used in conjunction with a valve cover breather in each valve cover.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 03, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

The engine is in very good condition. I just got it back together about a year ago with file fit rings set to .018 on the top ring and .012 on the second ring. It normally runs very good with no smoke and little leakage by the rings. When this happened the engine was very cold and I was getting on it much harder than I should have before it was warm.

I welded a 5/8 tube into the blockoff plate with about a 90 degree bend. I brought it up the side of the engine to about the top of the head and I attached a breather to the top of it. This is the only vent in the engine. I didn't want to drill holes in my new $308 cast aluminum Chevrolet valve covers. Now I guess I'll drill the holes, after I clean up the mess. Power Tour is off for me now.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 03, 02:20 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

BGH, I am really sorry to hear you will miss the power tour. At least, because you shared your experience with us, we all know now that the fuel plate breather can not be used without valve cover breathers as well. You probably saved me from the same oily fate with my new motor, so.... thank you for letting us know.
It is a shame that you had such a bad experience though.
Chris

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 03, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

Yea, I just have too many things to do to my car to get it ready to go, and this oil down just made me realize that I should forget it this year. Maybe I can be ready for next year. [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img]

'69 RS/SS396 pro street/427/4spd/9"

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 03, 09:45 AM

So that's all you're running for breathers? One in each valve cover and one hooked to the block off plate. Anything else? I need to do something like that, and I think I'll try that. Team Camaro comes through again! Thanks guys.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode