I believe my Holley carb has to be replaced! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

For a new 350 small block 4 bolt main, what size Holley carb should I install on it (650 cfm, 750 cfm, ect.)

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 01:08 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

750 will be too big unless you are running some aggresive performance mods. You could actually get away with a 600, but there is probably no need to go bigger than 650. A 600 Vacuum seconday will work fine for a frequent or daily driver ...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 08:22 AM
Senior Tech

screw the Holley- get an 850 Q-jet and build whatever engine yo uwant under it. mine worked good on a stock 307, and also works great on my 400 hp 355.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech

Give these guys a call, Sean Murphy Inductions
They seem very knowledgeable. I am going to get myself a 750 CFM Stage 2 QuadraJet custom built by them for $325 with electric choke. This is the size they recommended for my 465HP 383 engine for someone looking more for driveability/mileage over straight drag racing. They'll dial in the carb to your engines exact specifications and at $325 you can't beat the price for a custom tuned carb! No I don't work there, just seen them used multiple times in the chevy magazines and will be using them in the near future when I am ready to upgrade to the 2004R transmission.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I presently have a Holley 650cfm that's really in need of a good rebuild. There are these "people" here in Chicago "whose busness name I will not mention", that want $400 to do this for me I've never rebuilt a carbureator before, so I guess that this is the perfect time for me to start searching for a good Do-It-Yourself manual and to get busy with it.

Thanks again guys
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 04, 12:07 AM

Aingh, that seems typical, since a new carb costs about 400 clams... they will try to talk you out of a new carb just do they can "rebuild" your existing unit, only to make money. I guess everyone needs to stay in buisiness, but I don't care much for those who say you need more than you really do in fact need.

Holley carbs are designed in such a way that even very young and inexperienced folk can service them, Grab a Dave Vizard book from your local speed shop, and you will be amazed at how simple Holley carbs are. I love them simply because should the need arise, a Phillips, a 5/16 socket, a 1/2 socket and a big flathead will allow me to operate on that carb anywhere, anytime, anyplace. and anyhow; even on the side of the road should I decide the setup isn't quite what I want.

As stated above, 750 is theoritically "too big", but if you have plans for building a deep-breathing engine, then the overkill of the 750 on your current combo is easily justified. Otherwise, many people just think that bigger is better when it comes to carbs, which is certainly not the case.

Alright, I will quit rambling now, but honestly, the Holley you have probably just needs some adjustment, not replacement. Go to your local speed shop, tell the service fellow about your situation, and request a "trick kit". It is the cheapest and best way to go if you want to fart around. Should you desire any extra cool stuff, get a "jet kit" which gives you countless Holley jets for a fantastic price ($50-ish) so you can tweak your carb all the way. Oh yeah, I said i would quit rambling, so I shall, my bad...

BW
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 07:24 AM
Senior Tech

Do yourself a favor and hear out Mr. Breathweapon. The holleys are easy to adjust and service and the parts are cheap and plentiful. The quadrajets are a nightmare, I'd run a Edelbrock/Carter AFB before a Quad.
If you really want a new carb look at the Demons. GM is supplying Demons on the new crate motors.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 09:17 AM
Senior Tech

what makes a q-jet a "nightmare"? every one i've ever had has worked beautifully under any different weatehr conditions you can throw at it.
my experience with Holley's, however, hasn't been so good.
i guess it might just come down to how you go about things- i'm the type of guy that likes to leave stuff alone once it works, and a q-jet just flat out works once you get it tuned- which just might be why GM put them on millions upon millions of cars from the mid 60's right on up to the death of oem installed carbs in the late 80's, on everythign from 231 Buick V6's up to 500 Caddies. a Holley, however, needs to be tweaked and tuned whenever you hit a rainy or unusually cold or warm day.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 09:49 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

I am with you Nova. I used to run my car from alberta to british columbia ( 78 Elcamino highly modified). The holley I had on it would run like crap at the higher altitudes and when i got to the coast i would have to tune it just to keep it running. But my old 77 camaro (once again highly modified)had a crappy ol q-jet and that thing would run good no matter the altitude no tuning necessary. Of course both of these cars were never taken to the strip or anything. but for sheer versatility you can't beat the Q-Jet.

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 11:03 AM

I still take my car from Alberta to B.C. on a regular basis (Calgary to Revelstoke), and it performs much better with the Holley through the pass than it ever did with the Q-jet. About the only thing I liked about the original Q-jet was the spread bore. Small primaries made fuel economy great, and massive secondaries allowed for decent performance when you tromped on it. For ease of service, however, the q-jet was indeed a nightmare. If it crapped out on you somewhere in the boonies (which is what happened), there was no way to fix it. The Holley, on the other hand, can be completely rebuilt on the road with only a handfull of tools should the event arise. I just don't believe in making things more complicated than they need to be. Isn't it Scotty who said "the more you overcomplicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stuff up the drain"?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all of your responses guys. Sorry it took me so long to get back. I think I'm gonna do as BreathWeapon says and look for Dave Vizards book, buy a "trick kit", and start learning how to fix this thing myself. I've never rebuilt a carb by myself before and I think its time I give myself a good kick in the butt and start learning how to do this on my own.

Thanks everyone [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode