Older Vortech Heads? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 03, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

My engine shop has a set of "older "vortech heads, pre '96? that have been rebuilt. I want to put them on my 327. I am in need of an intake that will fit these. I have been told that the new Edelbock Vortech intake has a different bolt pattern, 8 holes vs 6. Was a different intake made for the first gen vortechs? Where could I find one to fit them ?
Help

thanks

1968 Camaro Z28 clone 327 .030 over, Muncie M20, DUI coil, Edelbrock Performer w/1406 , headers, 274 cam
1963 Chevy Biscayne-2 door, 283 2bbl, powerglide, Mallory Digital ignition
1985 Z-28 LG4, Edelbrock hdrs, Lakewood control arms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 03, 03:31 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Vortec heads were ONLY '96 and up...but there were heads made in the early 90's that had a boss casted in the intake bowl that helped the air/fuel 'swirl'. These will kill any power above 3000RPM, but help make good torque.

I would skip on those heads and find others...I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be happy with them.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 03, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

These heads do have the center bolt valve cover boss. Does that mean they are simply early 90's GM heads from a TBI motor? I'll check for the boss on the bottom side too.

1968 Camaro Z28 clone 327 .030 over, Muncie M20, DUI coil, Edelbrock Performer w/1406 , headers, 274 cam

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 03, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Centerbolt valve covers were used on all passenger car applications starting in 1987, I think.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 03, 05:26 PM
Tech Team

the intake u need is edelbrock #2104.....i have the same heads on my engine that came out of an 89 suburban,TBI....it does have center bolt valve covers but unlike the newer vortecs they do have center intake bolts which are canted
Nick

68 camaro, 350, comp cams xe262, hooker super comp headers, torque thrust II's, its a work in progress
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 03, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

thanks for the feedback guys! I looked up the casting # yesterday for fun and found they are from a '87 up 350. Yeah the hardest part has been finding the right intake with canted center bolts! #2104 looks right. Have you guys had a good experience with these heads?

thanks
Matt [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 03, 05:02 AM
Tech Team

i have them on a freshly rebuilt engine with semi mild cam, intake, hooker super comp headers....and im satified witht he results. but i am going to upgrade just because im in the stage of my life where i need more power(im 17)
Nick

68 camaro, 350, comp cams xe262, hooker super comp headers, torque thrust II's, its a work in progress
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 03, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I would not purchase the heads, if you don't already have them. Consider getting a cam over 210* out the window, those heads just wont flow enough.

By the way, there was a Chevrolet Off-Road bulletin a while back that stated the center two bolt holes (per side) are not necessary. Install a pipe plug flush with the mounting surface to block oil leaks. I've seen a few guys do it, never seem to have any problems. This way you can use a standard intake. Something to think about anyway.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 03, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy

I already had the heads put on the motor! He finished it Monday. I checked the parts list he gave me and the cam reads as a CE 274. I don't know the other specs yet or the brand. I will get them when I pick up the motor. He put in @9.75 :1 pistons which I think will help. I told him I wanted @300 hp from it, we'll see! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode