Team Camaro Tech banner

Fuelie heads on a 283?

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  oger 
#1 ·
I have a 283 v8 and was wondering if there would be any problems putting 461 fuelie heads on it. The valves are 1.94 and 1.5, and it has 65 cc chambers. The rest of the engine is being rebuilt and will be completely stock, when it is done, except for the heads. The heads came off a 327.
Thanks for your help,
Jeff
Also I was wondering if there is a way you can tell if a head has been milled by looking at it, or measuring it.

[ 03-13-2003, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: 1980Z28 ]

#3 ·
Your compression will probably drop a half a point or so with the 64cc heads, on our 283 the stock heads were about 60cc's. 283's didn't have much compression to start with, about 8.5:1.

#5 ·
Medium valved double-hump heads came stock on the 11.25 or 11.5 to 1CR. 315hp/283 fuelie motor!!!

And you can run the big valve heads up to like .460" or so of lift if you want... I forget the exact max. lift number before bore lip hitting becomes a critical issue above and beyond shrouding.

My nephews 283 has a set of big valved -291's on it with like a Crane "Little-Fireball" cam and went great!

pdq67

#6 ·
The 461 head came on the 61 HP 283s so they will work. Is there a reason you want the bigger heads? A 283 will run just fine with the small valve PP head or probabily even better with a modern 305 head. Unless it's in a very light car or one with an awful lot of gear you aren't going to have any low speed torque with the 461 head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.