'80 P/U 6-banger questions. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 05, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Question

Not our old cars but still Chevy......

The old '80 C/10 P/U I got cheap appears to run fine after I put a rebuilt w/p on it b/c it was dripping water.

BUT it steams out the exhaust ALOT!! White steam, but it doesn't have that sickening sweet taste in the mouth like from anti-freeze??

I do figure the gas in it is still very old and after watching it after toppping it off with anti-freeze, the rad. filler doesn't appear to be bubbling like I have seen in the past with cracked/blown headgasketed motors.. (NO blow-by coming out of the valve cover oil filler cap hole AT ALL!)...

This old motor has one of the funky integrally cast intake manifolds as well as the exhaust ports pointing straight down, not like the regular old heads on it! Can this type of head crack into the exhaust ports such that the rad. won't bubble like with a blown headgasket or cracked head in the combustion chamber??

Need some help here AND I'm learning as I go.

I have another year before I can throw the head away and install the more common set-up, plus go without a cat. so I want to fix it right for at least this coming year so my son can work it..

Any help is greatly appreciated...

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 05, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech

Paul, as long as that thing has been sitting I would expect it to blow all kinds of crap out the exhaust for a while. I would just keep an eye on the water level and the oil, and run a tank or 2 of fuel thru it before getting too worried.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 05, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Travis for the vote of confidence in the old bugger!!

It just seems like too nice an old P/U to be worn out, but it may have a heck of a lot of highway miles on it and still spent it's nights in a garage most of it's life??

pdq67

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 05, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Its condensation burning off from the exhaust system as well as water being exited to the atmosphere. This is one of the components the cat convertor "makes," H2O.

A vapor will be more noticable at idle than at a higher rpm, especially if there is no load on the engine, meaning you're not driving it.

Next time you're behind a Ford Crown Vic, Merc Town Car, etc., look at the tailpipes, water is dribbling out, especially if it is sitting at a stoplight waiting for the green light.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 05, 04:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

ya, as long as the radiator isn't bubbling, the oil isn't milky, and neither are vanishing, don't think you have a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 05, 05:24 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Give it some time on the freeway for a good 20 to 30 mintues. It should be gone by then.

I've got my truck tuned right at 14.7 at idle (with my handly LM-1). When it's cold outside, it BLOWS steam all over the place! Huge clouds. It quits when it's warm. I also noticed there is less steam below or above 14.7:1.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 05, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech

I don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings but the saying about your head is not if it's cracked but when it will crack. They are a real problem it is really hard to find one that isn't cracked or been repaired.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 05, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Smile

oger, that's what I'm trying to bone up on b/c I know nothing about it except that it's a 250-6..

Do you have any knowledge about where and how the heads crack to give me some insight into the beast??

I figure that hopefully it is OK at least until next year when I can switch heads to the regular bolt-on intake type one and possibly go with a true split manifold header b/c I do like the fact that it has a factory cast-iron split exhaust manifold on it now!

Does anybody know if any of the newer regular head motors have factory cast-iron or even more modern, SS tubular split exhaust manifold/headers on them??

Heck, I might just say to heck with the old 6-banger and re-cam my 406 and install it in the old P/U in place of it after hunting up a set of P/U V-8 mounts and stuff??

pdq67

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Quote:
It just seems like too nice an old P/U to be worn out, but it may have a heck of a lot of highway miles on it and still spent it's nights in a garage most of it's life??
Seems like you've answered your own question - If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

IMO, if the truck runs good, and the coolant/steam problem clears up, then I myself would leave it alone. You haven't seen any bubbles yet in the coolant, so don't go wishing.

Changing to a V8 is alot of work, however, 97% of the accessories will bolt onto the V8. Leaving the chassis towers for the engine isolators and maybe some accessory mounting brackets. Unless the 406 is collecting dust and you're not going to use it, then go for it!.

I myself would find a good used(?) 350 and drop it in place and keep the 406 for another time.

But, this is my 2 cts., if it runs good, I'd leave it. Its a running vehicle moving under its own power.

You might find some more info about the engine over at www.pickuptruck.com and read what others have to say and their opinions.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Question

oger,

Please expand on what you are implying..

If I was still around the old little country town I was raised at years ago, I would ask the Mechanics about this, but I'm not so am turning for help here b/c I figure somebody knows a lot more about this then I do..

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode