Pertronix vs Crane XR-i - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bob

Does anybody have any feedback on either unit? I think both have good features, but I would like to hear from people that are currently using them.

Thanks

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 11:27 AM

in very curious about this too, ill kick it back to the top....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 02:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Arrow

I just read the May-03/CHP magazine and they have a good insight on the Crane XR-i. One thing I like is the variable rev limiter feature and that it is triggered by the stock points cam. I've used Pertronix in the past with great results/durability up to date.

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bob

I too read the CHP article. I have yet to talk with anyone that is using the Crane XR-i. I have talked to a few people that are using the ignitor with mixed results. The consensus is that you really should carry a spare set of points in the the trunk.

Bob
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 03, 02:40 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to murrayo
Anyone try the XR-i yet? I ordered mine and I haven't installed it yet. I finally got to starting the Camaro this year. It has been too long!

I still have points in it and I have not replaced them in 12 years and yet it starts right up. Set the choke and two revolutions and it starts right up.

Let us know!

Timo 67 RS/SS 350 Camaro
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 03, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech

I wonder how that rev limiter works? Being such a small unit, I wouldn't think it would work like an MSD soft touch, where it cut's out cylinders. Do it just kill the engine or what?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 03, 07:35 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to murrayo
Angry

Just an update, I have installed the unit in my Camaro after testing all the resistance in the wires and coil. I had replaced my wiring harness with a Factory Fit unit a few years ago so the resistance wire was fine. The coil dropped the voltage even more and I had ~7.5 v for the module to run on. I talked with the Crane Peps and they said to go for it. I connected up the leads to the coil and fired it right up.

Some of the things learned, mark and pull the distributor. You need to mount the module as close to the cam on the distributor as possible without touching it. The real pain is feeding the wires out the bottom of the dist. What a pain. Almost as bad a taking out the one lead originally in there. The testing of voltage seems important too. The module has a ratiing of 6-16 volts but I assume that the higher the voltage, the higher the temps. This is true in computers too.

The Rev limiter seems to slowly cut out the cylinders. It doesn't send you through the windshield. I tested mine at 4k and that was an odd feeling. I think that the unit is decent. I want to take it on a long trip to see if it blows. I have an new package of Blue Streak points nailed to my wall incase I need them,

So that is my endorsment for this XR-i unit. I hope that it lasts for the 13 years my points did. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Timo 67 RS/SS 350 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode