Starter Problem...or so I thought - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

I need help with a problem that I've had for some time, that has just gotten worse. ever since I've owned my 69, I have had a problem with the starter not working after the car has been running for some time. Everybody told me that it was "heat-soaked" and I needed to re-build, replace or install a heat shield (which it has). If I got stuck, we would pop start it and it would start no problem, I just wouldn't turn it off. Not long after I experienced this, the starter would hesitate when I would start it, after it had been running. It sounded like errrr-errrr then started. This chronically got worse.

About two weeks ago, I was at a car show and after the car sat for two days at the show, I went to start it and nothing. Not a click, sound, or anything. I had lights, radio everything. Tried boosting it and nothing. Also, the brake lights stopped working (I found this out in Tech Check). Anyway, we pop started it. Now the brake lights worked?? After all of the problems, I figured starter or solenoid was shot. I replaced the starter (with solenoid) today and the same thing. No sounds, no nothing except radio & lights all work (except brakes).

I don't think this has anything to do with it, but I recently installed an original style battery, and the starter situation didn't change after that. Has anyone seen anything like this before and can they offer any advice?

Bruce A.
1969 RS/SS 396
727 52 E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

You didn't put in one of those Repro Delco R-59 batteries did you? They are best used to prop a door open, or to stand on to reach something on a high shelf. They last about a year if your lucky, and more likely about 6 months.

The starting problem sounds like an ignition switch problem. Can you start it by jumping across the solenoid terminals with a screw driver? If so check your ignition switch. Have you recently, (or ever) taken your bulkhead connector behind your fuse block apart? You may have a loose, or partially pushed out spade terminal inside this connector.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Mark,

Yes........and yes!

I did use the repro battery (I am a purist) and in doing so, I had to mess with the junction block. But, after wiring, it started just as normal.

As far as the ignition, I'll go try the trick with the solenoid! Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if that worked!

Bruce A.
1969 RS/SS 396
727 52 E

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Well, I just tried the deal with the starter and no dice! I'll pull the battery out tomorrow and take a look at the junction block area. Maybe I'll find something suspect?

Bruce A.
1969 RS/SS 396
727 52 E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode