What fuel pump should I use? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I have noticed lately my '69 is hard to start if it has set all week with out being started. I have come to the conclusion it may be the fuel pump letting fuel bleed back into the line. The carb is new and everything there seems to be fine. My set up is this:
1969 X44 model Camaro with a 305 small block engine equipped with an Edelbrock 600CFM 4 barrel carb with the "Stage 2" kit installed. The motor also has roller rockers, crane cam, and a double roller timing chain/gear.
I looked in Summit and they have several different brands, Edelbrock, Holley, Carter, etc., and all have different types of applications. My car is striclty for street use to get me to the shows and cruise ins. Should I spend the money on one of the name brands from Summit or would it be just the same purchasing a no name one from a local parts store?
Thanks!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I forgot to mention, I do have a fuel pressure guage in the line so I can monitor the amount of pressure. The fuel pump I currently have now is just a no name and the little guage bounces from 5.5 to 6

[ 07-13-2003, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: supv26 ]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 03:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I have the Carter street pump and like it. It self-regulates to 6#. Others like the Carter street/strip ( maybe wrong name ) pump. I had a chrome no-name on when I got my car and it pushed gas past the needle/seat. It was pumping 10# so you need to understand what you are getting.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 06:50 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I agree with Rick. The Carter street pump will work fine and you can use it in the future if you decide to stab a bigger engine in. If the dollars are tight an Autozone or Pep Boys special will do the job.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 08:00 PM

I'll third that.

I ran a (low buck) Holley 110 street mech pump on the roomies Chevelle and out of the box it had to be regulated down from 10#. 5.5 to 6 isnt so bad, I'd be happy with that as long as it kept up with the volume. I dont think you will have a problem there running a 600 either.....

The Holley 60gph $54.00 pump would be good right out of the box. This can also be 'clocked' 360 to aid in routing fuel lines and such. Just a thought.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 02:14 AM

I picked up a carter at Advance just a few days ago. Price was right, $25 and change.

Before installing it, though, I spent a while with some mag polish, a file and some 400 grit sandpaper and polished it to a real nice luster. I then painted the bottom cup black then clear coated the whole thing. Looks pretty good and I didn't have to pay $90 for a chrome one.

I put on a chrome plate from Autozone and went to my local hardware store for some stainless steel bolts to install it.

Randy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

With a mild 305 you don't need the 110 gph Carter or Holley. A stock 305/350 pump would be fine unless you plan on more mods (like a bigger engine) down the road.

The Carter is a good pump though - not a bad choice if you must overkill

ps. I think both Holley and Carter make a 60 gph pump. That would be about right IMO.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode