96 LT-1 questions - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 03, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

I just got a deal on a low mileage LT-1.Have any of you changed this type engine over to a carb and dist set up? Im kicking around putting this engine,along with a 6 speed in my 69.Are the heads on this engine(aluminum)anything special?I have not messed with this type engine before,and would appreciate any input or help on possible problems with putting this in my car.

69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed<br />65 C-10 P/U All 93 Drivetrain<br />88 Ranger Pro Street Chevy Powered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 03, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

By the way.It,s a 96 year model out of a Z/28

69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed<br />65 C-10 P/U All 93 Drivetrain<br />88 Ranger Pro Street Chevy Powered
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech

Angry

Do a search in a couple forums, it has been covered many many times. If you have any specific questions, we can go from there, and i have you covered with a T56 six speed install kit.
Tyler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 03:56 PM

LT1 not LT-1 LOL!
the heads are special = reverse cooling
the block is also application specific
GMPP dual plane is around 270
it is possible that intake for the "fast burn" head will fit also but again - reverse cooling
96 is ODB2, vented optispark (long dowel pin on the cam)
great engines, lots of torque, the aftermarket is strong
seems the T56 swap is becoming very popular, and why not - .50:1 sixth
to most people I recommend the GMPP "LT4 HOT" cam kit (218/228 @ .050, .525 lift w/ 1.6 rr's) - makes a great engine even better, nice rumbly idle, relativley cheap
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 03:58 PM

one more thing, there is a short shaft that connects the oil pump to the cam, if you install a distributor you'll have this piece left over, if you wanna sell it lemme know
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 03, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Thanks for the info guys.You were reading my mind Fast, since the cam was my next question.What kinda horsepower should this engine make with that cam,with the carb setup?Probably gonna run a 650 double pumper and good ignition system and hedders.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 03, 07:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

FAST,

I'm doing a twin turbo LT1 in my 69 Camaro. I'm using the Accel Gen VII ECU and having the stock intake modded for a dual pickup Accel dist. You can have the stub shaft out of mine if you like, just re-imburse for the shipping.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 03, 09:38 AM

Those heads were probably the best factory heads to date made by GM. They will do nicely.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 03, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech

the cast iron heads used on the B bodies (Caprice, Impala, Roadsmasher) are supposedly better flowing than the Camaro/Vette aluminum heads, and are identical to the Vortec heads everyone (including myself) has on their "old school" small blcks, but with reverse cooling for the LT1. that's not to say the aluminum heads aren't good, just that the iron heads are said to be better.
why not stick with the efi setup? when it's all said and done, you will have a bunch of money sunk into making it carbed, and only a little bit more $$$ and effort will allow you to keep the efi.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode