should i use the PERFORMER intake or RPM PERFORMER intake?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

well i think the rpm range for a rpm performer is 2500 to 6500 and was wondering if i should use the performer cause i think it is from idle to 5500 and my car will only turn 5400 rpms so which one would be best for my car it is a 406 small block ,i have a 490 lift comp cam , 2.02 ,1.60 76cc chambered heads and a 750 holley and alot of other stuff but ill just tell yall what ya need to know to figure out what i need to use this is a low 14 sec car not real fast but good for street , but i was just thinkin that the performer is more in my rpm range but yall will have to tell me that thanks agian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 03:58 AM
Senior Tech

You did not say if your car was automatic or stick shift. An automatic with a slight stall convertor will will love the RPM intake. The RPM intake is good from 1500 rpm and up, while the regular Performer intake is good right off idle. I have run both and prefer the RPM. If you motor where all stock, I would go for the Performer. Since you have mod'd it, I would say you would be safe with the RPM. Its a good street intake. Stay away from the open plenum (Victor Jr.) style intakes.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

Member of the "unwanted" 3rd Gen group.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 06:32 AM
Tech Team

definately run the RPM intake. ive ran both on mildly built engines and the RPM was noticably better.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 01:38 PM
Senior Tech

I have a performer on my stroker 383 and am very pleased with it. I never go much above 5500 RPMs so it suites me fine. I've pretty much got more torque than my drivetrain can hold. A footnote on an earlier post----I have noticed that there are a few places where I only leave one tire mark on burnouts--so no posi. At first when getting into the new engine, I seemed to only get double tire marks. I still break both tires loose 75% of the time.

A note for the engine setup I have now with the Performer---One single tread burnout(second tire mark faded out at 50 ft) continuous into 3rd gear at 220 ft long(yes I measured by the ole heel to toe--my size 13s are 13 in long so I multiplied and got the total). Chunks o' Rubber on the wheelwell! I gotta get some traction assist bad!!

LH
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 04:43 PM
Senior Tech

I also agree that the rpm intake will work better for you...especially with the 406 small block. The rpm will make more power than the performer above 3000 rpms...now, if you was using 2.73's the performer would probably work better because the engine would spend more time at lower rpms, but with the 4.10's that you was using, the increased upper end power of the rpm will work good for you.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech

Good point Travis. The rear end ratio would make a big difference. I haven't confirmed my ratio for sure but I know it's in the 3.3-3.5 range from speed v. Rpm estimates. Torque converter is std about 2000.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

yeh them 2.73 gears are bye bye soon as i get my 3.73s so i guess ill just leave the rpm performer intake and see what happens i just want a high 13 thats fast enough to beat most mustangs on the street honestly though i have never got beat by a 5.0 on the street but im sure the day will come lol alright thanks guys ill let yall know what it runs soon as we get my different gears in later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode