cylinder not firing - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 03, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

On my 67 camaro stock 350//295 hp, engine i have a consistant miss at idle & when engaging trans, in reverse or forward it sounds worse! when accerating it appears that is is not firing on all 8 ! Did complete tuneup, wires, carb rebuild etc, Still has miss. Pulling wires from distributor with engine running 1 at a time , 6 of the cylinders draw the idle down significantly , another [email protected] BUT the back cylinder on the pass, side make NO difference on the idle. It is not firing in that cylinder. Pulled plug & checked spark attached to the wire & there is Lots!! Is a compression test the best thing to locate the problem?? Need a resolution to my problem!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 03, 07:23 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Sounds like a valve (not seating) problem run a compression test

Dave
69 Big Block / Hugger Orange Sold
65 Chevelle SS
Black 2010 Electra Glide Classic
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 03, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech
robert

warped lobe on cam

Z28 1984
'77 355ci/COMP cam 218/224 .464/.470 114 LSA
rollerrockers1.5/9.72 forged pistons
ported '66 461 heads 1.94,1.5/Flowtech shorty headers
edelbrock 600/performer rpm intake
th350/shiftkit/hughes2500stall
4th gen 3.23 10 bolt POSI.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 03, 04:25 PM

Question

Take the valve cover off and see if it is operating right on that cylinder..

But I would think it would be hammering big time.

pdq67

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 03, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Start with a compression test. You need to start with the basics first, if compressionis fine then start looking other places.

When doing your compression test, if the compressionis low squirt a little oil in the cylinder. If the compression comes up you have ring problems, it will come up a little anyway but if it's very low and comes up to normal or with 10% of other cylinders is when you have a problem. If it does not come up you have a head gasket, head or valve problem.

If everything is normal start looking at the plug, wires, ignition, vacume leaks etc.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 03, 09:20 PM
Senior Tech

check the firing order. which cylinder drags the engine down a little when you remove the plug wire? is it number 1 or number 4- those are the two cylinders that fire just before and after the number 8 cylinder you say has no spark.
fro the record- the firing order is 18436572, with the rotor turning clockwise as you look at the distributor. the cylinders are numbered 1357 front to back on the driver's side, and 2468 on the passenger side.
it might sound too simple, but it just MIGHT be the problem- it happens to us all, but it's usually 5 and 7 that get mixed up, as they are right next to each other and fire one after the other.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 03, 08:03 PM

check all of the above.

i just had a similar problem on a van i was working on.
it turned out to be an intake gasket leak.
ran myself silly doing tests, watching the valve train, triple checking wires. i had checked for vacuum leaks already, but somehow missed it.

start with firing order (even if you're sure it's right), move to vacuum test, then compression test, then remove the rocker and check the valve train (depending on results). if still stumped, do another vacuum test.

spray carb cleaner around the base of the carb, vacuum lines, all over the intake, especially the edges around the cylinder(s) misfiring, and listen for the idle to smooth out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode