cowl induction - use chevelle type? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

I've got a 69 camaro with cowl induction, electrical. It sucks. I've burned out one solenoid and the new one works about 1/4 of the time. VERY bad.
I've seen several chevelles with a cowl hood flap that looks vacuum operated, I'm wondering if I can't manufacture something and adapt a chevelle part to my camaro.
Can anyone with any experience help out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 03, 08:36 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

My 70 SS 396 had the original set up on it when I bought it back in 1980. Yes the outer hinged door is vacum operated, which is why it opens when the car isn't running or when vacum drops off under high loads. But there is a second door inside the cowl hood that operates electrically off of a switch that the gas pedal contacts if I'm remembering this right. So you still have to deal with the inner door.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 07:55 AM
Senior Tech

just get rid of the door and not worry about it. i think it's only real purpose whas to keep gas fumes out of the cowl area when the car's not running. besides, it's just another flow restriction anyways.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 08:32 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

If you don't have the cowl inducation air cleaner on your car (I looked at your website pictures) then the cowl induction hood, does absolutely nothing for you (except look cool). It won't get anymore air into the engine whether it's opened or closed.

If you remove the flapper, and don't have the cowl induction air cleaner the hot under hood air will come streaming out the cowl instead of going under the car as you drive around. You won't believe how much hotter that makes the inside of your car.

Get the air cleaner before you worry about the valve working. If you've already installed the air cleaner, then you can remove the flapper if you really want to. My solenoid is 34 years old and I've never had it fail. It's only supposed to be open with the gas pedal mashed to the floor, so I can't imagine mine has ever stayed open for more than 15 seconds at ony one time. If your's is staying open more than that, adjust the switch on the accelerator and you may get a longer life out of it.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode