Installing a rebuild kit in a M-21? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

How much of a job is it to rebuild a Muncie 21 for someone who has not rebuilt a manual transmission? I have had alot of mechanical experience. Is this a job I should tackle? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Warren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech
Don

You'll need access to a press, with a couple of lengths of tubing to use, snap ring pliers etc.

And a dummy countershaft would come in handy too.

It's a pretty easy job.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech

Warren,
I certainly won't tell you what job to tackle but I can offer you some advice. Ive been building muncies since I was 17. It can be done with common tools but its a pain in the a$$. First off in case you have no clue on how to get the side cover off, grab the 1st & 2nd gear shift shaft with an adjustable wrench and turn it to the 2nd gear pos., the forks will now be lined up for removal. Front retainer nut has a left hand thread, alot of guys grab that thing start loosening and dont relize there tightening it. Another helpful hint is the use of a shop press to remove the mid plate all the way through 1st and 2nd gear including the hub and slider. I could go on and on, theres alot of tricks to it but its not that difficult. Check out www.gearzone.com . The administrator put together an assembly/disassembly video that I hear is pretty good. If you run into any problems feel free to Email me.
Rich

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech

Hey Warren,

I have a muncie M-21 trans w/ Hurst comp+ in my camaro. It works great except sometimes it pops out of 2nd gear when i get off the gas. Am i correct in thinking that the 2nd gear sinc is bad? If so, is it something i can live with or is it something that i should fix asap? How much trouble would it be to fix it? Thanks
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 04:31 PM
Senior Tech

My mistake, The above question is for Rich.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech

Ramjet, Make sure the shifter is adjusted correctly before you tear into it.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Warren, its not that difficult and you don't need a press. Get the video from gearzone. Best $25 you'll spend.

I rebuilt my first muncie a year ago and it works like a champ. Biggest pain was cleaning up the case and all the parts. Everything else was really easy. You'll need a snap ring pliers.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode