Can't remove valve covers with Crossram installed - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 03, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Garage
I have a X77 '69 Z/28 DZ302 all stock and desided to install a NOS crossram intake manifold I have tonight on my motor, now the factory valve covers are pinched or something because I can't remove them and I'm afraid if I do I won't be able to get them back on. Well if you own an orig.Z/28 you know you need to adjust the valve from time to time so I have to be able to get under them. What am I doing wrong??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 03, 07:52 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I think David Pozzi told me one time that you have to remove the top half of the manifold to pull the valve covers after installing a cross ram. I'm not sure if that wa with a factory manifold or another brand though...

David are you out there? Did I get that correct?

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 03, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech
AL

You need to slightly trim the valve covers for clearance so you can remove them with the intake installed. If you do it correctly you canít tell they were trimmed when installed.
Al.

'69 Z28 (X77 D80 72 72) GM Crossram, Steel Crossram Hood, Doug Nash 5 speed, 3.42's

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 03, 02:33 PM

Smile

One other thing but may not apply??

Stock heads have short, (or low), valve cover decks whereas some like W/P's and others have raised the decks to help keep v/c gasket oil weepage to a minimum so if you have taller decked heads, you may be in trouble??

pdq67

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 03, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Garage
Angry

Thanks guys for all the help!!! Well after hours on the phone today, only then to turn on the computor and find that the answer was already here by one of those to respond to my help request! Nicely done "302xram" was all over it,and he's got a sweet car too!! I sure hate to grind on my factory finned valve covers but it must be done,wish me luck! Thanks again all, Tim. P.S. Check out the front row of my home shop and see just how bad my addiction is to the Camaro-Enjoy! http://home.comcast.net/~trciri/TMC/myshop-1.JPG

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 03, 04:20 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
If grinding the VC's is the answer, get a set of the LT1 covers they are about $110 each, grind on them. They are polished instead of matt finish but that can be reproduced on the polished ones...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode