Fan blade not centered in shroud - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 02, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am having problems with my fan blade not aligning with the shroud on my '68 small block. The engine is a 350, I'm not exactly sure which motor mounts I have, but the engine sits about 1/2" off center toward the passenger side. Because of this, the fan blade hits on the side of the shroud.

I had the same block and motor mounts in a previous car and didn't have this problem. The only difference is that I have a new core support now, the other one was rusted out. The front sheet metal appears to be on square if I measure from the center of the windshield to both front corners. The hole in the bracket that the shroud mounts to is centered between the fenders, but the radiator itself is not, in fact it looks like the radiator is offset 1/2" in the opposite direction than the motor.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 02, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
I would do the following,

Measure from the cowl bolt, the very top bolt for the fender, and measure to the opposite corner of the hood opening. This measurement would be for squareness of the front sheet metal.

Secondly, at the front of the car, look straight down at the harmonic balancer. It should be directly over the little channel from the main crossmember to the front member. Any difference would mean two different heights of the chassis stands, thickness of the vibration mounts, or the transmission mounting is askew.

If you saved the old radiator support, I'd measure the two and compare hole locations as well as the mounting pads on the frame.

If all else fails to show any deviations, you might have to get a BB shroud to compensate for the relocation. But, general rule of thumb, a SB car, everything is centered.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR DISAPPEAR UPON RAPID ACCELERATION"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 02, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the reply Everett. I checked the measurements from the cowl bolts to the opposite corners, and everything looks square within about 1/8".

Looking down on top of the balancer, it appears to be centered on the channel, but I think it really is off center by a little bit. If I measure from the air cleaner stud to inside both fenders, it is about 1/2" off center toward the passenger side.

I looked in a couple catalogs and see that there are several different shrouds for small blocks, and on some the area where the fan fits into is definitely off center.

I don't have my old core support anymore to double check the hole locations.

I guess I need to go to a supply house and measure shrouds, or go with an electric fan.

Thanks,
Brian

------------------
URL=http://http://web.tampabay.rr.com/68ss/]MY CAR[/URL]

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 02, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Is your car a small block or a big block ?
Big block engines are offset!!
This is accomplished by the frame stands and not the actual motor mounts.
What was or is the car originally?
Could you have a mismatch?

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air (not yet installed)
700R4 TPI transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode