Install Big Block and Headers? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I'm installing a 454 w/T400 tranny into my '69 Camaro soon. Do the headers go in bolted to the engine or should I lay them along the sides of the engine bay and then install the engine? Thanks for your help.

------------------
'69 Restification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 01:02 PM

I just finisfhed doing the same in my 67. I used my small block mounts with Hooker competition headers. I had to lay them into the compartment first. I also had to "Ding" the headers a little around the PS gear box. Hope this helps....

------------------
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 01:54 PM

JonT,
Check out my post under "Engine installation"
I tried to do what your talking about but,the headers got in the way. It might have to do with the 2" prinaries, power steering & my lack of experience.
Dan

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 01:56 PM

Sorry about the spelling. 2" primaries, not prinaries. It's a typing problem :
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 02:49 PM

I put my 454 in and then the headers, one from the top and one from the bottom. had to leave the plugs out and take my time. I've had them off a couple of times since,(to undercoat, and clean) and put them back on the same way. you have to have the car up pretty high to get the one in from underneath, that's how i did it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 00, 12:14 PM

I installed Blackjack AK5000 headers on my 69 with the 454. It is a tight fit, and didn't require any modification of the headers. The only problem was they had to be installed at the same time as the motor. IE: Drop the motor 1", raise the headers .5" and so on but they did finally go in and clear everything. If the car were raised high enough as mentioned in the previous post, you may be able to install them after the motor is in place but that wasn't an option for me. I used the big block engine mounts which may account for the tight fit. I would recommend you have a good cooling system because the big block and headers will build up quite a bit of heat in that confined area.

Larry 69 Coupe 454/5speed
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 00, 02:56 PM

Cool

I had to tie the driver's side header in place on the fenderwell before installing the engine. The passenger side header was a breeze to install with the engine in place. I did leave the spark plugs out until the headers were bolted in place. I've never tried installing the driver's side header from the bottom as zappo did, but now that I think about it, that might work. Good luck with the project.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Thanks much for the advice everyone - sounds like the driver's side is the problem...makes sense. Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode