how to remove head gasket residue - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 04, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Hey all, Im about to put a set of aluminum heads onto my 350, the problem is the old head gaskets left a kind of textured residue on the block surface. My question is how to remove this stuff without gouging up the surface of the block. Perhaps a plastic scraper and brake fluid? Input is appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 04, 05:40 PM

Smile

You will be hard pressed to gouge a cast-iron block's deck, imho..

A sharp heavy, rigid, 1" wide putty knife/gasket scraper and some hard work will clean them up fine. I've even used a sharp wood chisil for doing this!!

I always run into this problem, although only once on heads b/c I use Permatex, Indianhead Shellac Gasket Cement on about everything AND when it sets after a couple of years, it's kinda hard to say the least to remove..

After the problems with the heads I went to either Aluminum spray paint or either the dauber bottle or spray-on Copper-Cote headgasket sealer b/c it was so hard to clean up......

pdq67

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 04, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech

With a little patience, a razor blade works great on the block decks.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 04, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Napa/Permatex gasket remover ang a rag should do the job. No to very little scraping, the stuff works good.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 12th, 04, 06:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Angry

I usually use Laquer Thinner or MEK (MethylEthylKetone - get at hardware/paint stores), after I have Scaped all the 'big chunks' off, to Remove any residue and Clean the surface before I install new Gaskets.
A lite pass with a wire brush in a drill or air motor will help remove some gaskets and marks prior to cleaning the surface with chemicals.
Berimans (sp?) B12 (spray or bottle) also works great to clean surfaces before gasket install. Get it at all auto parts stores.
Use good gloves with any cleaning solvent to prevent absorption of the chemicals into your skin. See the "It's only Your Health" and Martins great postings in the forums for more info on this.

Hope this helps;

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 12th, 04, 06:45 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Razor blade first then a toothbrush sized wire brush to clean up any leftovers. At least that's how I do it.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 12th, 04, 07:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I like the wallpaper scrapers with the 4" razor blade!! These have a long handle on 'em that makes them easier to use, they clean a wide flat swath, and you can replace the razor blade cheaply when it wears out!

Paul D.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 12th, 04, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech

I'll use a bunch of razor blades and a few cans of brakleen. The blades will dull up real fast. Follow up with some maroon scotch-brite and more brake / laquer thinner...

Passes with a wire brush on some sort of rotary tool will leave pieces of wire in it's wake that will need to be cleaned up well...

Hope this is somewhat helpful..

John

John...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 12th, 04, 04:46 PM

I started out with a gasket scraper..
but very soon went over to gasket-remover and razorblades. Much better!!

Donīt forget to clean the bolthole-threads!
A good tap and a wirebruch is very handy here.
Flush with brakleen.

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode