Pilot bushing install - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 03, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

I just got a pilot bushing from Summit today. It's a Lakewood # 15976. I measured it with the caliper and its about .015 larger than the hole in the crank

This is a 327 small journal crank. I called Summit to check and see if all pilot bushings are the same, and they said they are. Did I just get a bad bushing or is it supposed to be that tight?

Right now I have the bushing in the freezer for the night and I'll see what is measures in the a/m, but I doubt it gonna shrink that much.

Dan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 03, 05:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I don't know what the dimensions on mine was but it was quite an interference fit to install.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 03, 08:52 PM
Senior Tech

Can't say as I've ever measured one before to know the interferance. Sounds like it will be an effort to drive in. How does the ID measurements compare. In other words, if you compress the outer diameter by 0.015, have you got say 0.020 inner clearance to keep from binding the pilot shaft? If you're concerned, could you chuck in up in a drill with a bolt and "machine it" with some 200 grit or so? I'm curious what comes of this thread, if you go too far in either direction, the results are unfavorable, but I can't say what the optimal tolerance should be.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 03, 09:01 PM

Smile

My roller tapped right into my 406's crank real easy..

And I am going to use it in my 496..

pdq67

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 03, 09:23 PM
David Pozzi

Post your measured OD and crank ID. I'll compare to some bushings I have here. I think it should be around .0015" interference or so.

did you measure the ID with a snap guage or internal mic? I've found dial calipers to be inaccurate for ID measurements. Not THAT inaccurate though.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 03, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

dnult, I don't quite understand your question. I thought about turning it down with some #200 grit also.

David, the O.D. of the bushing is 1.100
the I.D. of the crank is 1.085

I used a good caliper with the numbers on the caliper itself, it does not have a dial. My micrometer only goes to 1"

I measured the I.D. of the crank with a telescoping gauge and used the caliper to read it. I also double checked the crank with the caliper and got the same measurement.

I know I need more accurate tools to do this type of stuff, but hay, Christmas is coming

How much does the trans shaft put on this bushing? It seems a fit requiring only a "tap in" would be nessasary.

Dan.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 03, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

I got it in... I turned it down by grinding it down with a file as it turned on my cordless. Really worked slick. I checked it as it went, then I pressed it in, no hammering. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Dan.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 03, 05:20 PM

Angry

Great ingenuity, (or however you spell it???)...

That's what I call "Shade-tree" so welcome to the Club...

You need other two things in this Club, first is a big tree in the yard and second, an old lawn chair ta sit in while you are figuring out how ta do something for yourself!!

He, He!!!

pdq67

PS., almost forgot, a piece a chain hanging off a big flat limb in the tree for pulling motors.....

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 03, 07:27 AM
David Pozzi

My crank measured ID of 1.0885"
new bushing: 1.096"
Used bushing: 1.0915"

So Ive got a press fit of .0075" new, the bushing compresses to 1.0915" leaving an actual press fit of .003"

I'm suprised how much the bushing compressed. If I didn't have the used bushing to compare to I'd have thought there was way too much press fit, but that amount works.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 03, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

pdq67, I don't have a big tree with a chain in my yard but I sure have that mentality

Thanks to everyone who chimed in [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Dan.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 03, 02:02 PM
Team Member
John

GM print specs for the bushing are 1.094" OD and 0.594" ID. Check new bushings with a magnet - the market is now flooded with cheap offshore bushings that have a high iron content instead of being pure Oilite Bronze - NAPA got a slew of them and may not have purged all of them from their stock. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 03, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

JohnZ, I got one of the cheap ones that reacts to a magnet, Is it worth replacing with bronse?

How would you get the old one out?

Dan.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 03, 04:32 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I would get it out if it was easy to get to at this point.

You can remove it by filling the cavity behind the bushing with chassis grease and driving a snug fitting wooden dowel into the hole. Hydraulic pressure will drive it out believe it or not. You may need to pull it out and re-pack once or twice but it does work. Remember, the grease will have a tendancy to want to shoot out a bit so you might want to wrap a rag around the base of the dowel while you are hitting it with a hammer.

-Mark.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 03, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Mark, I admit that I had my doubts about the grease trick but it poped right out. Had to repack it 5 or 6 times but...

I used an old bolt and wraped electrical tape around it till it fit snug and wacked it with the hammer, being careful not to let the bolt hit the back of the crank. Thanks!
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Dan
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 03, 01:44 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Hey, I was not a believer either UNTIL IT POPPED OUT!!! [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img] Crazy but true [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode