hydruallic roller cam stock in an 87? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Lightbulb

I have an 87 z-28 w/ a 305 tpi which i'm replacing w/ a 350 that can be found at this link:
http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...id=128&pid=105
this engine comes w/ a hydruallic roller cam, and i was told if the 305 did not have the same, i would need a new distributor? is this true? and if so, did the 305 come w/ a hydruallic roller cam?

Black 1987 z-28 TPI<br />93 350 Caprice LO5<br />Edelbrock TES headers<br />dynomax superflow CC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 09:07 AM
Senior Tech

your 305 SHOULD have a roller cam- it's easy to verify without tearing too far into the engine. pop off a valve cover, and shine a flashlight down one of the pushrod holes and look down where the pushrod goes into the lifter. if the lifter has a retainer around it and the one next to it, with a big stamped steel "spider" across all 16 lifters, then it is a roller cam. if not, then it isn't.
as for switching distributors, you don't need to on stock Chevy cams. i know some will say you HAVE to, or your cam will be destroyed and your family will be cursed for 7 generations, but that just isn't true. at least not the first thing, anyways. i know from experience that you can run a good old junkyard hei with the stock gear on it on a factory roller cam- i did it for 2 summers on my 87 roller cam 350 before it got "upgraded" for duty in the Nova. i still have that same dist in it, only now i have the GM HOT hydraulic roller cam in it. i have had the distrib out more than a few times, and have seen no funny wear patterns of any sort, nor have i seen shiny metal flakes in the oil.
to sum up- the 305 is probaly a roller cam motor, and you don't have to switch gears.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 09:25 AM
Senior Tech

hey, i just realized i recommended that engine to you. you're really getting it, huh? keep us posted as to how it runs.
maybe down the road you could add vortecs or fastburns and the HOT cam, along with the TPI intake they also sell. that would be neat.
or, you could get a Vortec truck long block and add the TPI intake to it. bet that would also scream. you could maybe try to score a boneyard low mileage vortec engine and either use the truck efi setup or sell it off and get the aforememtioned TPI intake for it, as well. seems people like to total those trucks out. no matter what, it should be a great runner.
sorry for daydreaming and maybe making your choice a bit harder, but i wanted to show you all the options i could think of. but the Caprice engine i initially recommended would seem to be the cheapest and easiest way of going about things.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 03, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Can i get a vortec base plate w/o the vortec heads or vice versa? I can only afford one thing at a time right now, lol. Also, While my engine is out of the car, what kind of things should i be doing? i.e. cleaning motor compartment? The stock engine i'm replacing was not running well, and i've yet to find out why as i tear into it. I know it had 90 psi compression in the first 3 cylinders (i wasn't smart enough to check them all (specs:100-150psi)) and the spark plugs had alot of fouling. The engine was 190,000 old w/ no rebuild prior. So my question is, is there anything REALLY hard to replace that will be coming off of my old engine, such as sensors. Will a new engine come w/ those sensors? (knock, oil pressure, etc....) Finally, What is the best way to clean the old intake manifold and plenum/runner assembly? Can/should they be cleanied in a diseal tank?

Black 1987 z-28 TPI<br />93 350 Caprice LO5<br />Edelbrock TES headers<br />dynomax superflow CC
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 03, 04:33 PM

I owned an '86 IROC and then a '91 Z-28; both w/ the 305 TPI. Those are very nice cars that were underrated by the Nazi car magazines. That will be a nice ride. The Vortec base will not fit on the other heads. Can you get that motor as a short block? You would be so much better off w/ Vortec heads and baseplate. As long as I'm spending your money, I'd put in a TPIS cam. [img]tongue.gif[/img] . Be sure to recalibrate your computer. I believe your 305 injectors will work on the 350 if you get the proper chip, they'll just have to work harder (increased duty cylce). I was always told that the TPI motors went from flat tappet to roller cams in '87 so your 305 should be a roller. Replace the motor mounts while the engine compartment is vacant. They're cheap and easier to do now. You can probably clean the manifold and runners w/ carb/choke cleaner and a pressure washer. Dude, if there's any way to do the Vortec heads, baseplate, and the cam, even if you have to borrow money....DO IT.....that's probably an extra 60 to 75 HP.....REAL horsepower as opposed to bull**** horsepower increase claims like with a KN filter and a cat back exhaust [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] TPIS would be a good place to get your chip from, even if you don't get their cam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode