Real dumb question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
So dumb I didn't want to put it in the topic. But here goes. How much anti-freeze should I put in my 68 350 with 3 core 23" radiator? I just put it together this summer and only put water in it so far. Would just draining the radiator and filling it up with AF be sufficient or do I need to get one of those hygrometer (sp?) things? Oh, this is in the St. Louis, Missouri area so I guess I should protect it down to about -10 and it won't get driven over winter at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 08:22 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Not a dumb question at all. If you are looking for cold weather freezing protection follow the directions on the lable to get optimal protection. If freezing isn't an issue you could drain a gal of water and add a gal of anti freeze and I think you would get the corrosion protection you need. Where I live I like running less than 50/50 anti-freeze to water but it doesn't get to freezing around here.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

I definately want freeze protection. I guess what I don't know is the capacity of the entire system. If I knew that I could use the directions then. I just need to pick up a gallon and read up on it.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 09:23 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Capacity should be about 3-3.5 gallons if the block is empty. This is how I always do it - Buy 2 gallons of antifreeze. add the 1st gallon of AF to the radiator, then add 1 gallon of water. Pour 1/2 the 2nd bottle into the 1st empty bottle and fill them both the rest of the way with water to make 2 gals of 50/50 mix. Then I just top it off and keep whatever's left to add later if needed.

A 50/50 mix with most brands should be more than enough to protect against freeze in Missouri - you could probably get away with 40/60 or even 30/70 if you keep it garaged. You might check the label though like Dennis said.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 02, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
I would think being in Missouri, as I used to live in Iowa, one would want a 50/50 mix.

One has to think of the wind chill factor, 50 mph flowing through the radiator before the thermostat opens up would freeze the coolant.

Fortunately, the block's drain plugs are easy to get removed. Pull the plugs, remove the thermostat, run water through the block to rinse out any residue, replace plugs. Fill coolant system and radiator with a gallon jug and count the jugs used. Now, you have the number ofquarts for capacity. Plug the plugs, and drain the radiator, and refill with 50/50 mix, after installing drain plugs. Replace thermostat and rad cap. Check the belt?

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR DISAPPEAR UPON RAPID ACCELLERATION"
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 02, 06:16 AM

Just a note, water dissipates heat more quickly than AF. Down here, with no worries about freezing, I run 100% water with a wetting agent to help prevent corrosion.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 02, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech

Wind chill has no effect on inanimate objects. the temp is the temp. If its 30 degrees out and you are driving your car at 60 your car is still 30 degrees give or take.
Wind chill is the rate at which the heat is removed it will feel colder if the heat is removed from your body faster.(IE blowing wind) Thought I would never use that tid-bit.

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro The Combat Rat
80 z28 Camaro 355ci
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 02, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

OK - looked at a bottle of "Full Force" brand antifreeze I had in my garage.

50/50 mix is good to -34*F
40/60 mix is good to -12*F
33/67 mix is good to 0*F

As Milan stated wind chill has no effect on freeze points, its a "humans only" number.

My little sister lives in Springfield MO and she insists that "IT DOES get cold down thar in the Ozarks; it just doesn't stay that way for long."
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 02, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

I think I'll just drain the radiator and if I can get 1 1/2 gals back in it I'll be alright. I'll do your idea of mixing the remaining 1/2 gal 50/50 for topping off.
Thanks
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 02, 05:32 PM
David Pozzi

Most Chevy cooling systems are around 4.5 gallons capacity. If you have straight water in there now, I'd just drain the radiator and add 2 gal of anti-freeze, then add more water if needed to top off.
You can use a test guage to determine freeze point, which tells you the percent of anti-freeze too.
For a California car, 30 to 40 percent is plenty.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 02, 01:08 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

A 350 has a 16 Qt heating system capacity, a 327 has a 17 Qt capacity. It is hard to get much more than a gallon and a half of water/antifreeze out of the system when draining the radiator. The rest seems to sit in the heater core and bottom of the block.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 02, 01:22 PM
Leonard

100% water is not a good choice to run in an engine. The water pump needs lubricated . This is done with antifreeze /coolant. Water also has a lower boiling point. Not only does it help keep an engine from freezing in the winter, it helps keep an engine cooler in the summer.Even if you live in a warm climate all year long.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 02, 01:41 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Anti-freeze or coolant will not keep your car running cooler in warm weather-it will simply just raise the boiling point. Water is much more thermally efficient.

Of course, if the water is boiling, then yes, anti-freeze will keep it cooler.

It provides rust protection, also.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 02, 02:42 PM
Leonard

Silver69Camaro, you are correct. This is what intended to say but didn't type. After reading your reply, i see where it is misleading on my part. I stand corrected.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 08:54 AM

DON'T FORGET TO RUN THE ENGINE AFTER ADDING ANTI-FREEZE. I hope I'm stating the obvious but I thought I would make sure it was said.

I recommend picking up one of those $2 meters that tell you exactly what temp your radiator mixture is good to. That way you can drain as much as you can thru the radiator; replace with anti-freeze (make sure you don't buy the pre-mixed stuff); run the engine; check your mixture; adjust if needed.

-Gregg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode