A neat clutch linkage upgrade - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 01, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Well, I ordered the spherical rod clutch linkage kit from Speed Direct and put it in. This replaces the pedal to z-bar and z-bar to clutch rods. It looks sharp and works sooooo smoothly. The only problem I ran into was the threaded rod on the adjusted was too short so I bought a longer bolt and ground the head off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 05:47 AM

Hey Rick, that sounds pretty cool. I'd sure like to have a smoother clutch pedal! How much was the kit? Do you have any pics of it on your car? If I could make my car a little easier to drive, then my wife might give it a try too. Wait a minute--what am I thinking??? No really, I want her to enjoy my, I mean OUR, car too so she will let me spend more money on it.

------------------
Ben - '67 RS/SS350 - Mustangs, meet your NEMESS
"There's an 'e' in Ben, but there's NO 'E' IN CAMARO!!" (sorry, just a pet peeve of mine!)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 01, 08:23 AM

Found their website and saw the price for the kit. 55 bucks seems like a lot for a rod and some bolts!! Plus the adjuster was too short and you had to make a new one! Have you told them about that problem Rick? I wonder if we could put together a group purchase and maybe get a better price for everyone? Anybody else interested? I'd be willing to contact Speed Direct and try to set it up if there's enough support. I figure they'd probably want at least a dozen orders to consider it.

------------------
Ben - '67 RS/SS350 - Mustangs, meet your NEMESS
"There's an 'e' in Ben, but there's NO 'E' IN CAMARO!!" (sorry, just a pet peeve of mine!)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 01, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Yeah, the price seemed a bit high but to me it was justifiable. I think CHP ran an article on making it but since I don't weld ( yet ) that's out. Good point on feedback to them. Anyway, my linkage needed rebuilding and I spent $ on replacing the two rods with something better. Of course, I can rationalize anything for the car!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 01, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Another thing, you're getting two rods with the spherical ends on both ends of the clutch pedal rod and the one end of the throwout bearing arm rod.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 01, 09:51 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Sign me up if you can get a discount going! I thought about buying the materials and having someone weld them up for me. But by the time I pay for that I'll probably have about the same amount of $$ in it as I would just buying them outright.
Now, if I had a welder I'd definitely do it myself. The materials can't cost more than $20 or so, right?

There was an article in Chevy High Performance-November 1998, pg 55, that details making this linkage in case anyone is planning to DIY.
------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu

[This message has been edited by bretcopsey (edited 02-02-2001).]
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 01, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech

I WOULD HAVE TO SEE EXACTLY WHAT ITS LIKE BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE MADE VERY CHEAP. I RACE MODIFIED MIDGETS AND MAKE STUFF LIKE THAT ALL THE TIME 3/8 HEIMS ENDS ARE ONLY ABOUT 3.00 A PIECE THE REST WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN THAT BUT I WOULD HAVE TO SEE IT TO BE SURE SINCE MINE IS CURRENTLY AN AUTO
IVE MADE 5/16 THROTTLE LINKAGES FOR MY BUDDYS DUAL QUAD MOPAR THAT WORKED OUT VERY NICELY SOUNDS SIMILAR TO THAT EMAIL ME A PICTURE [email protected] 3DUDE
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 01, 11:17 AM
Tech Team

Talking

hey 3dude where do you race at??
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 01, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech

jacksonville & pittsfield mostly only go to macon when i feel like getting on my head
cause thats what always seems to happen when i race there!!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 01, 11:12 AM

I e-mailed Speed Direct about setting up a group purchase for these kits and got a positive response! They are looking into setting up a deal now, and I will post more info when I get it. Rick, I also mentioned the problem you had and they wanted to know more. If you could fill them in and they could fix it before we order a bunch more, that would be great! You can e-mail customer service there at [email protected]
I hope this goes through!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 01, 05:16 PM
Senior Tech
Bret

No'E' I 'm glad to hear they are interested. I hope that it won't require the kits to all be small block kits-I need one for a BB. Very anxious to see what they offer!

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 01, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I'll send them a note today. Nice followup. It really is a neat upgrade.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 01, 11:31 AM

Thanks for sending them feedback Rick! I managed to set up a group purchase! Go read this new thread for details: https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/003666.html And please order one so we all save a few bucks!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 01, 07:04 PM
Tech Team

I made a setup like that about 6 years ago and the differance in pedel feel was incredible.I'm sure you will forget what it costs the first time out cruising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode