383 INPUT - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 02:48 PM
rogleete

Decided that I will go with Speed-O-Motive's 383 Stroker motor. I'll be purchasing the short block. 350 block, 5.7" rods, hypereutic flat top 10:1 pistons. What I'm asking input on is what else should go on this motor. It will be a daily driver, 15+mpg goal. My thoughts are GM HOTcam kit, some heads from a junkyard that I will port/polish myself, 1.6 rollers, and top it off with some sort of fuel injection. Don't know which one yet.
If I do get my heads from the junkyard, what should I look for.. What kind, from what? And should i go with the edelbrock EFI, or grab something from the junkyard along with the heads.. I expect 430min HP from this....what are thoughts on cam selection also..I want it to be roller.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 03:22 PM

On the cam, I would look at the Comp Xtreme XE268. That's what SOM put's in their assembled motors.

I wouldn't just put a set of heads on it. You could kill performance really quick with a bad set of heads. Like stock smog 76cc heads would ruin what you just built.
For about $400, I would put a set of vortecs or around $700 a set of S/R Tourquers. That will be a better move. And if you do the Vortecs, you'll need the intake for them. The S/R's use the old style bolt pattern.
A good dual plane RPM intake and 650cfm doublepumper and you'll be set.

If you want a lower cost head, and don't want to fork over big $$ now, find a good used set of doublehumps for now. But if they need worked, you may end up spending more than a new set of vortecs.

Good luck and happy building!

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Speed Demon 750, RPM intake,Proform HEI dist.MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and 3000 stall.Powertrax NoSlip Locker
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 03:21 AM

Thumbs down

[I hate to tell you this , but it's going to be hard to make it a daily driver!Plus you can forget miles per gallon more like gallons per mile!If you put anything under a 68cc chamber head you might not be able to run pump fuel!RACING FUEL.But the higher the duration on the cam it will lower the compression ratio a little bit.P.S. I've had a 383 i know, 11.5 to 1 is about high as you can go on 93 octane,and at that ratio it might ping a little bit .If you are planning on driving every day choose your head cc. wisely!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 06:16 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T/A GTA:
[I hate to tell you this , but it's going to be hard to make it a daily driver!Plus you can forget miles per gallon more like gallons per mile!If you put anything under a 68cc chamber head you might not be able to run pump fuel!RACING FUEL.But the higher the duration on the cam it will lower the compression ratio a little bit.P.S. I've had a 383 i know, 11.5 to 1 is about high as you can go on 93 octane,and at that ratio it might ping a little bit .If you are planning on driving every day choose your head cc. wisely!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It could be a daily driver. Mine is more radical and I drive it everyday, day in and day out.
I agree you need to watch compression, but 9.5:1 would be a great compression. I opted for a little more, but I have a larger camshaft to help bleed of some cylinder pressure,low gears and a higher stall. Gas mileage, haven't checked,to fun too.
I run 10.7:1 compression now with 93 octane. You can run higher with aluminum heads over iron. But then it get's tricky on setting up the right timing with higher compression motors.
But for a mild torquey 383, I don't see why a person can't drive it everyday.

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Speed Demon 750, RPM intake,Proform HEI dist.MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and 3000 stall.Powertrax NoSlip Locker
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 07:11 AM
rogleete

someone take a educated guess on this setup...like use the desktop dyno or something: 383, 10:1 flattop pistons, compcam XE268, Dart Iron eagle heads, 180cc intake runner, 64cc combustion. edelbrock EFI intake, 1.6 roller rockers. what is HP and mpg on this setup?
and how would those heads do on this motor
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech

A word to the wise....

I bought my 406 StrongArm kit from Speed-O-Motive in the fall of '99. Within 500 miles I had a spun bearing. After pulling the motor apart I had a machine shop check everything out. They showed me that the "rebuilt" rods were way out of spec and the finish was really poor. The rods had excessive taper in the big end bore and every one of them had a bit of twist over their length. The "rebuilt" crank wasn't much better. I had to have everything re-done locally at my expense. I tried discussing it with SOM but they weren't interested in talking to me about it much less actually helping me in any way.

I can't say if mine is the only time this has happened or whether it's a common occurrence. I would just suggest that if you buy rebuilt parts from SOM (or anyone) that you have a local shop check the work - it may just save you a rebuild!

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech
John

a 350 with that cam, those heads, and that compression would be pushing 425 horses and 430 ft. lbs. That isn't from desktop dyno, just from what I have seen other people running. I imagine a 383 would run probably about the same horses, just a few rpm sooner and that with that 180cc intake runner you would be pulling some big torque, 460 ft. lbs? Desktop dyno says 415 horses and 440 ft. lbs, but I don't trust that thing.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 01:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Scott,

You're right. I'm sure there are people who've had no problems with SpeedOMotive; but I'm not one of them.

They have good prices; I still buy their new parts but NO machine or assembly work. I know three people currently who have had MAJOR problems with their machine work and assembled engines, not counting numerous complaints on other message boards.

Jody

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 03-01-2001).]
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech

I have a stroker 383 and my setup has the following--hyperuetectic pistons, s/r torquer heads 9.5:1, performer(not rpm) intake, edelbrock 600cfm carb, comp cams XE268, accel supercoil hei and runs really well. I use it as driver but haven't gotten over the new power of this motor which replaced cracked 327 in December. I will attempt to get a mileage figure while trying to resist putting my foot through the floor. rear is 3.55 ratio with TH350. I will guess MPG is 11-12. It is a great motor with TONS o' torque. You'll get better MPG with injection but the extra coin could buy a lot of other goodies.

LH
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 03:04 PM
rogleete

whoelse sells a 383 shortblock assembled... $1200 is a good price for a block/crank/pistons/rods without the hassle of putting it all together yourself
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 01, 03:13 PM

Just finished building a 383, spoke with SOM
and was not comfortable with some of the answers. Anyway, 383, Scat Cranks and rods, Comp. Cam 286 Duration with 488 lift, Edelbrock heads, manifold, and 750 Carb, MSD 6al Ignition with Billett Dist. Rear Wheel HP at 423hp. Cam is to aggressive for Automatic. I run a 5 speed Tremec. Best engine I've ever owned.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 01, 09:40 AM

SS,
You say your cam is too agressive for an automatic.
Do you have a stall converter? My cam is larger than yours, and with a 3000 stall it idles at 800 rpms no problem.Mine is 284/288 adv and 240/244 at with the 1.6 rockers .540/.544 lift.

Just curious as if you have a stall, that would help.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tracy Focht (edited 03-02-2001).]
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 01, 06:52 PM
Team Member
John

GM Performance Parts has just released a 383 crate engine - see your Chevy dealer.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 01, 09:46 AM

Hi. I have a 1967 toyota land cruiser. i currently have a nv4500 tranny (the ones out of the big heavy duty cummins desil dodge trucks. I also currently have the stock inline 6. It has alot of stuff done to it everywhere from heads to a non-usa distributor. In about 2 years its going to need rings and pistons because it gets alot of miles on it. Im very interested in building a 383 stroker for it. The only problem with this is I need to get the torque curve WAY WAY down in the rpm's. I would like the torque curve to be close to if not lower than the current inline 6. it puts out alittle over 300ftlbs at 2100rpm. For what its going to be used for horsepower is not needed. I need a TORQUE MONSTER! TORQUE TORQUE TORQUE! Any suggestions on a good very low RPM TORQUeY setup?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode