Please help me out! Swap from powerglide to TH350? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Exclamation

I have a 68 base model that had a powerglide in it and i bought a 78 camaro that had a TH 350 in it. I put the TH 350 in, bolted it up, and the kick-down bolts up right where it's supposed to and everything but I have a few questions.
1) The kick-down cable will have to be pointed at an angle upwards a little bit to connect to the carb, is that okay?
2) On my powerglide there is that little thing on the side that shifts the tranny, on the powerglide if you turned it with your hand, you could here it clicking throught the gears from P,R,N,D,L but on the TH350 when you turn it you can hear it clicking through the gears or even feel it. Is this okay? (I drove the car home and even got on it up to about 90 and the tranny didn't even slip a little bit so I know it shifts okay)
3)Do I need the shifting linkage(from the shifter to the tranny) off of the powerglide or off of the Th350?
Thank you so much in advance, I'm really stuck here.
Donnie
P.S. sorry for the long post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech
John

the only piece of shift linkage I had to swap was the trans selector (a piece that is stuck to the side of the trans).
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up

Boodlefoof,
Okay thanks, What side of the tranny was the linkage on(drivers or passengers)? And, Which tranny did you use the linkage off of(TH350 or PG)?
Thanks,
Donnie

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 01, 01:00 PM
Senior Tech
John

If I remember right... the shift linkage was on driver's side and the kickdown was on passenger's side... I'm not at home at the moment, so can't go look.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Question

I'm pretty sure that I know the thing you're talking about(trans selector) but I can't figure out how to get it off! There isn't any visible bolts or anything that I could find. Please help me out. Oh, and when you said that you had to switch them, you meant that you had to take the one from the powerglide and put it onto the TH350 right?
Thanks,
Donnie
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Question

Also, How can I set my kick-down to downshift at WOT?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
John

I couldn't get the selector off of the PG either, I had to buy a new one for the TH350 from Rick's First Generation in Athens GA. I think you NEED a new one for the TH350 as they aren't interchangeable. At least, they sell different ones for both the PG and the TH350. I am not sure on this, but I do believe the one for the TH350 is slightly different. I believe that this piece is what you referred to earlier as "the little thing on the side of the trans that shifts the tranny." Sounds like you already have this sorted out.

Kickdown linkage.... that is another story. The TCI brand "street fighter" trans that I bought has the kickdown linkage on the opposite side that the carb does, so I would need to mock up some kind of adapter to get it to work. I haven't done this as of yet.

Good luck! You will like having the extra gear to play with.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up

Thanks, I'll bet I will like another gear!
Does Rick's first generation have a website? How did you get the gear selector off of the TH350? And when you said that you bought a new one, did you buy it because yours was in bad shape or because you have to buy one for the switch?
Thanks again you are seriously helping me alot, Donnie.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 01, 03:52 PM

The web site is
http://www.firstgen.com/

This was a good read. I have a TH350 in mine and haven't been able to get he kickdown straight. Easily solved since I have a slap shift in it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 01, 04:56 PM
Senior Tech

Don't throw away the throttle rods for the glide if its a V8 they are hard to find and someone is sure to want them.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 01, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Question

These are probably stupid questions but:
1)What is a throttle rod?
2)What is slap shifter(ing)?
Thanks,
Donnie
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 03:16 AM
Guess

Also check out www.shiftworks.com They have everything ya need for the swap. I used them for the same PG to TH350 swap in mine.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 06:19 AM
Senior Tech

just like HwyStarJoe said, Shiftworks.com

that is where I purchased my TH350 Trans detent and it works GREAT. the PG will work, but you dont feel the clicks because the PG detent is different. you feel the transmissions , but not the shifters clicks, (because the PG has no 1-2 dent in it to click. IF U choose the PG shifter detents be carefull because if in 2 you can knock it back into 1st since there is no lock for it.

oh : the stock PG shift rod works fine. the Trans kick down (tv passing gear, whatever) cable will work in the upwards position , BUT I would get the kit from Shiftworks, it has all the correct mounting tabs and items to work properly. .

------------------

Chris's 67 RS 327, Comp280,Flowmasters,shoddy interior, pepboys carpet and rusty floors and trunk can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Question

Chris:
What is the detent? I'm just curious. Also, Which kit is it from shift works? Oh, When I said that I couldn't feel the clicks I meant that I couldn't on the TH350.
Thanks,
Donnie
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 12:44 PM
Senior Tech
John

the reason I had to buy a trans selector from Ricks is that my transmission didn't have one when I bought it. If you already have one, it should work fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode