header headache - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 04, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Question

I'm new here. I have a 67 which I have installed a fast ratio steering box. the headers now do not fit. anyone do this upgrade, if so what headers fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 04, 05:01 PM
Senior Tech

FIRST OFF...

WELCOME!!!!!!

What headers are you using? I just posted a message in the Performance Section on Thorley Headers... I actually have set of headers laying around now... email me. I have p/s but am not sure what difference a fast ratio box means?

67 Camaro | 350 | 650 Speed Demon | Dual plane GMPP intake | MSD ignition | Secret Cam (I don't know what it IS!) | 2.02/1.60 Camel Humps ported | Thorley Tri-Y's | 8.5 10 bolt 3.73 | M22
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 04, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

The headers I had on the car are hookers which were made for camaro. the steering box is out of a 87 Z28 14.1 ratio. the frontend has all the g-machine goodies so it should handle well. the headers hit the #5 tube because this box is at least 1/4" wider to accomidate the larger gear. I read an article on the net "course correction" they built a 69 with the same box and mention hedman shortys. I would like to hear from someone first hand B4 I buy another set.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 04, 02:14 AM

Some shorties fit fine but others exit right where the Z-bar goes so watch them too.

pdq67

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 04, 11:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmm, I put that same steering box in da ragtop, with hooker comps, it clears fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 04, 06:17 PM
Senior Tech

How far to the right do big-block motor mount brackets move the engine?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 04, 08:22 AM

My BB Hedman 68190's fit fine on my now BB P/S, floor shift stick car.

It shocked me that the pass. side went in from the top.. And that the drivers side clear everything fine..

I do have NOS, BB frame and new poly mounts tho, which I figure help.. I got excited and peined the front tube on the pass. side to clear the rear upper A-arm shim bolt and A-arm flange when after I got them in, they probably should not have been touched..

I will say they are close to both floorboards tho..

Supprised me for good cheap headers!!

pdq67

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 04, 08:53 AM
Senior Tech

i only know about the small block stuff- if you have a big block, disregard this.

header fitment depends on what mounts the header prototype car had on it. a 302 and a 350 had mounts that put the engine in one spot- to the right and further back towards the firewall- where a 307 and 327 had the engine in another spot- forward and to the left.
if you have 327 mounts, and the header company used a 302 or 350 powered car to design the headers (which is very possible), then you might have clearance issues around the steering box if you have a 327 or 307 powered car. if they used a 327 car , the headers tend to be more universal.
my Nova is a factory 307 car, and still has the 307 mount setup. cheap dynomax headers clear everything great with no less than 1/4" of clearance at the tightest point at the stearing box. but the Hedmans i put on when the Dynomax headers got bent needed a 1/4" ding to clear.
so, in conclusion, either ding the header and live with it, or buy a set of shiny Jet Hot coated Dynomax headers from Jeg's for $220 or so- or uncoated for $115 or so.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 04, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech

I purchased the BB Hedman 68196 ceramic coated units for my '67 RS 396 BB, but they don't fit worth a damn. They sit to low about 3 inches lower than the floor boards and about 3 inches above ground. They did clear the steering box by about .5 inches but hit the upper rear of the A frame on the passenger side and now I have a nice crease on that side.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 04, 08:26 PM

Hi,

i have just pulled my engine out of a 69 rs/ss and figured this was a good as time as any to replace my steering box with a close ratio one. i did not know until reading this thread that you could use one out of an late model camaro. is there any fabrication or other things i should know. i have comp headers also.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 08:27 AM

Yes, you will need a new OR good P/S pitman arm b/c the manual box pitman arm won't fit the P/S box..

pdq67

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 09:58 AM
Senior Tech

if you get a box out of a newer car, you will also need a certain rag joint- late 70's/early 80's truck, i think- and either get power steeering fluid lines made with the proper metric ends on the box side, or adapters to use your stock PS lines.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 08:10 PM

What does OR stand for? This car already has power steering and a brand new pitman arm. Can I use that arm or do I need one specifically for that year? Where can I find the adapters?
By the way I got my new 383 today. My first transplant.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 08:16 PM

duh! (or) The upper case letters and 7 hours in a truck to pick up my engine hopefully buys me an excuse not to look completely foolish.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 09:42 PM
Senior Tech

This is just one of the reasons I like the Doug Thorley 375Y headers. Had them on the old 350 motor and still using them on the 385 fastburn crate motor...with power steering, etc. Nothing hits or rubs and plenty of ground clearance.

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode